1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp Q's From a Tube Noob.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldn't find an answer for this exactly, so here goes:

    I bought a pedal, an Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n and the description is as follows: a glovered 12AY7 cascading into a 12AX7, to produce true Brit-valve sounds that are full of richness and natural saturation. And being a guitar effect, PLUS the fact that it's supposed to emulate Brit-valve sounds, I expect the low-end response to be thin and lacking.

    Here's the tube questions:

    1) What does the "12AY7 cascading into a 12AX7" mean? Is that that a signal passes through a lower gain tube, and then a higher gain tube? What would this accomplish?

    2) I am told that the 12AY7 can be replaced with higher or lower gain tubes like a 5751, 12AT7, or 12AV7 and the 12AX7 can be replaced with a 5751, 12AT7 or 12AY7 and should work right. What would putting a higher gain tube in front of a lower gain tube accomplish? What about tubes of the same spec?

    3) Are there any particular brands of tube that offer mellow a particularly warm sound with good bass response, or is it all a crapshoot?

    4) This is gonna cost me a bit of money to find what I like, ain't it?