1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preferred 112 for a Tone Hammer 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hillsidebass, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hillsidebass

Hillsidebass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    San Angelo, Texas
    What lightweight 112 would you guys use with a Tone Hammer 500? I'm needing to gig with a fairly light rig these days as I'm having shoulder surgery this month and will probably never go back to my DB 750 and 8x10. I know the 112 will have it's limitations but I can always run "thru the house" when needed; which I do anyway most of the time.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino AE112 or HD112 if you can stand a little more weight.

3. I'd be inclined to go for one or two of the Aguilar cabs. Matching rig looks nice and I always assume that a company would have test driven their gear with their own products, so they should fit like hand and glove. Though I would have a hard time paying more for my cab than I did for the head! Speaking of, did anyone take delivery of the aggie SL410 before they deep sixed it?

4. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    +1 on the HD112 it is mighty nice sounding.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Custom 112. Or 2 custom 112s or a custom 212. Employ one of these drivers...Eminence Delta Lite II 2512 or Kappa Lite 3012HO or Kappa Lite 3012LF, Ciare 12-NDH3, or Faital Pro 12PR300 or 12PR310. Don Oatman @ www.LowDownSound.com is your man.

Superior to anything you'll find commercially @ a lower price than you'd pay new. If you're looking new, that's how I'd roll anyway, no question at all about it.

6. MtJam

MtJam Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Maryland
    I use two Aguilar SL112s with my TH 500. 25 lb. cabinets make for a very easy load-in/out. They are pricey, but what a sound!

I also highly recommend the Epifani UL112. Slightly heavier than the SL112 (approx. 30 lbs.), but I actually prefer the sound of these cabinets to my SL112. They seem more powerful to my ear.

Anyway, there are plenty of options out there. I am so glad I discovered the Tone Hammer amp. I have back problems, and I have not missed lugging around a Genz 212 and Eden head, although I still have those (just in case I might need them sometime!)

Happy hunting!

7. Hillsidebass

Apr 15, 2005
    San Angelo, Texas
    This is kind of a fun "hunt"! I've always been a bigger is better dude and have used the big heavy Ampeg rigs for almost 40 years. I've been of the opinion that if my pant legs weren't flappin' in front of an 810 then things weren't good......then I found the Tone Hammer and a Genz 212. Much better now for lot's of reasons! The Genz is just too heavy for my bum shoulder. Can't wait to find the right 112. It's really cool to be able to use your experience with these cabs so I don't have to chase each one down for a demo before I buy.
    Thanks guys!

8. The Berg HD112 is excellent. Aguilar cabs sound great but their 112's are poorly designed. For some unknown reason they decided to go all out to make their 112's as short and deep as humanly possible. Not what you want unless you have ears coming out of your ankles.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  9. Hillsidebass

Apr 15, 2005
    San Angelo, Texas
    Any of these cabs have a "tilt-back" option? I guess I'd then have to figure out what to do with the amp but at less than 4lbs with the TH, velcro might work. ;)

I need to go with an 8ohm cab in case I ever want to add an extension cab, right?

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you like your Genz, there is the NeoX 112. Not a featherweight, but still light and small...to me anyway.

+1 to going with a custom build too. A DL II in a 2 cu.ft. box can be super light and make a lot of noise.

11. db4124

db4124

Oct 13, 2011
    Washington
    If size and weight are a primary concern then try an Eden ex112. I love the sound of mine and it is about the lightest and smallest 112 out there. Relatively inexpensive too. I don't gig it, but would imagine PA support would be mandatory for anything much larger than a coffee shop. The sound is very full and clean driven with my GK MB200.

12. I agree... I got to check out with the TH 500 head with one of the Aggie SL 1x12's and really dug it. Like MtJam said... Killer tone! Great buttery vintage with a bit of modern seasoning. I wants!

5sg.

13. I really like my Traynor TC112 that I use with my Shuttle. Like the Aguilar SL, it is 25lbs and a dream to carry around. Very reasonably priced too.

14. shrigg

shrigg Beta Tester for AudioKinesis Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    If you want articulate, the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 112 is hard to beat. I'm continually amazed with my Thunderchild 115.

TC115&TH500&P-Bass.

15. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
  16. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012

17. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    At a recent GTG in Phoenix, AZ the Tone Hammer was played thru greenboy's latest cab...the Fearless 112, to rave reviews...it's a 3012LF, a Faital, mid driver and an APT80 horn...weighs under 35lbs :)

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    With a bum shoulder I think what you need to two light 112s. A pair of 112s can be quite loud and glorious sounding. They are easy to load into a car... especially if they are 25 - 30LBS. Just stack them on a dolly and you are good to go. I am personally on the verge of acquiring a fEARful 12/6 + 12sub stack and it will be super loud and full sounding yet each cab will be about 30LBS give or take.

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thunderchild 112
    Fearless F112
    Baer 112

distantly

Genz 1288

Those're the only 12s made stateside in my list. In europe, Barefaced makes the Big Baby which is very nice.

20. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Bergantino HD112 for me