Premium Makeover: Semi-hollow Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellowgerman, May 19, 2020.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've been a huge fan of Bisonic pickups ever since I got into the 60's Jack Casady and Phil Lesh tones, back in my teens. My first bass that was equipped with any Bisonic family pickup was an Ibanez ASB-140 I bought new in 2007, for which I ordered a new Hammon Dark Star pickup (replacing the stock humbucker in the middle position). I sold that one to a buddy of mine to help raise funds for my first vintage Guild Starfire bass.
    Recently I got a good deal on another one of these ASB-140 basses thanks to a good deal of wear and tear. Pictured below is the result of a little bit of tweaking -- dual Hammon Dark Stars, Vol Vol Tone controls, and the new Gotoh GB707 tuners are still in the mail, but on their way.
    Neat thing with this one is that, since all my other basses are ~30.75" short-scales, I've strung this 34" Ibanez up with some heavy flats and will be keeping it in DGCF tuning, so that it's essentially a standard short-scale bass starting at the 2nd fret, with the open and first fret positions effectively being an extension into some lower territory, which will be fun to play around with. Really comfortable and sounds like thunder, as you can imagine. Really proud of how this one came out, so I figured I'd share it with my fellow TBers. Prost!

20200515_091404.jpg

TinIndian, nixdad and MonetBass like this.
  2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That looks fantastic!

mellowgerman likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022