Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bryan2112, Jun 16, 2004.

1. i'll throw this in misc...

first thing - his "rainbow" carl t 6 string is just sick looking.

saw primus last night in pittsburgh. they "bring it"! this was one of the best shows i've ever seen. i was about 20 feet away from les and his technique was just insane, i think i need to start learning how to slap like a wild man. for a split second, i thought about getting a whammy bar on my bass... but it passed. ;)

oh! i can also say that this was the first time i ever saw a whamola(sp) bass in action. quite interesting with the drum solo. kudos to mr. claypool for playing in what i consider insane humidity wearing a full suit and hat. i was sweating just looking at him. my only complaint is they didn't play any rush songs like they have on some of the previous shows, but beggars can't be choosers! :rolleyes: jerry was a race car driver would have been great too, but oh well.

i also just found out you can buy each concerts mp3s for $10.00 @ you get cd inserts and booklets with it too! that just seems like a great way for the band to make more money, and the fans to get any show they want.
  2. Yeah, I bought both shows they played in boston on their tour de fromage tour.

And the first two shows of their current tour.

I was kind of angry when they got cut off from YYZ in the encore because they ran out of time.
  3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hey, Glad you liked the show! I'm supposed to be going to see them on Sunday but if my friend dailed his math test then he has to retake it on monday and he won't be allowed to stay out on Sunday and my parents won't let me go alone :bawl: I REALLLY have to get my butt to that show though on account of I missed them last time they were in town. It would be cool if they busted out the rush/zeppelin covers Sunday. What's a whamola bass?

Check out theese guys:
    They are like a more funky lesser PRIMUS. (They are a local teenage band)

P.S. Can someone help me, I can't figure out how to post a direct link...
  4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    ^ Hey that's my old thread!

The Whamola rocks.
  5. old threads die hard. :D
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    My brother and I are going to the T.O. show this Saturday -- I can't wait :D :D :D.
  7. I caught them at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, TN last weekend. It was the highlight of the whole weekend for me. They played YYZ there too. As you could imagine, it was pretty sick!
  8. See you there buddy!

saw them last time and enjoed it oh so much
  9. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles

How cool, how did Mr. Belew sound with the band?
  10. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
  11. He was very impressive as well. I could not tell who he was from where I was standing. I did not realize who it was until talking to some friends afterwards.

Although everyone's ability on stage that night were totally insane (especially Les'), their drummer stood out to me. He was intense the whole night.
  12. He's a member of King Crimson.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

And that pig mask that he got from the audience! :D

He was sweating after wearing that.

Killer show, better than the last time I saw them. I've decided Tim Alexander is too good from Primus. I love Primus, but they need to get Brain back and Tim Alexander needs to take over the world with percussion.

Oh, and during the beginning of the second set, I was close enough to Claypool to spit on him. But it became too much of a battle to stay their so I backed off.

I'm always saddened by the lack of love for Mr. LaLonde. He's so good. But his tone was rough, he had too much high end. I would have given him more midrange, cut the highs, given him more volume. But it was cool that when Ler soloed, Claypool would kinda walk off stage, giving it to Larry completely.
  14. nice! my friend paul and i were up close for the first set, but then my friends nic and joy showed up after their work and poor joy is about 4'5" and 15 lbs (and knew about 2 primus songs) so i figured we should back off. we ended up by the fence about 100 feet from the entrance. i hate that venue. it's a shame they didn't play somewhere else. great show though! i didn't notice that he got the pig mask from the crowd. i was looking at the digital pic's a photographer friend had taken during the first set and when i looked up, he was wearing it. i agree with you about ler and herb. even though after seeing multiple neil peart drum solos, all others are kinda "ok" to me. still impressive as hell though!

were you wearing black? i might have seen you. oh wait... EVERYONE was wearing black. :D
  15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Herb is one of the best....Everyone go buy Attention Deficit - The Idiot King now!!
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I was wearing my navy blue "Some people work, I'm in a band" shirt with a skull on it. Doubt that's ringing any bells. I the crowd was much better than when I saw them at clevland. With the exception of Pudding time (Which everyone went crazy during), the crowd was fairly nice. With the "hippization" of their music, the crowd grows more mellow.

I loved it when Claypool spotted someone smoking a joint right up front and made the joint smoking jesture, then put his finger over his mouth and went "Shhhhh" (I won't tell ;) )

Claypool also needs to learn, that he needs to stop doing funny **** when people throw stuff at him, it just makes the crowd want to get a rise out of him. But in the middle of harold of the rocks, he got hit with a empty water bottle and just shook his head.
  17. i saw them years ago at the community college of beaver county. ("where you goin' beaver boy?" during my name is mud was particularly funny IMO) it was one of those tours that has a million bands. primus was the headliner. i was there with my (now ex) girlfriend and we were a good 50 feet behing the mosh pit. well... then primus came out and all of a sudden, people went nuts. it was my first time in the pit and i didn't take it too well after someone ripped off the necklace my girl made me. the hot temper set in and the poor kid probably had a broken nose after i was done with him. not my finest moment. :rollno: well, that was a long time ago and you're right. the crowd was much more "civil" at this show.

and i can't believe they didn't play winona... in beaver, pennsylvania no less! haha

one more side note. i love the security at these places. *sarcasm* i could have smuggled in two handguns with no effort. i forgot i had a 4 1/2 blade pocket knife in my jeans and as i was emptying my pockets in front of the workers and police, i was just about to say "i forgot i had this, let me run it back to my car", she said thank you, enjoy the show. i still had a full pocket on the other side i didn't get to. oh well.
  18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It's true, my ex wife and I had always been big Primus fans. I had turned her on to Primus when we first started dating and we listened to quite a bit of Primus and caught a few shows. Then Primus went on hiatus, but life went on. Then my wife and I divorced, but life went on. Then the A.S.N.T.T.A.L.P. DVD/EP came out and I, for same reason, picked up an extra copy for my ex. I gave her the DVD/CD the day it came out and also watched some videos with my kids at her place. Primus had brought us closer. Then the tickets went on sale for our local Primus show. For some reason, I felt nostalgic for the last time I had seen Primus (which was with my ex-wife several years prior) …so I bought an extra ticket and invited ex wifey to come along. She gratefully accepted and we went together and had a fantastic time. This was about 8 months ago, and we are now living together for the past 6 months or so. All because of Primus. The savior of family values. Just another… Story of American Life...
  19. that's fantastic! good luck brother. unfortunately my ex is now married so needless to say, she didn't get an invite from me, even though i was thinking of her for the same reason of nostalgia. (this was only the 2nd time i've seen them)