Prince "When Doves Cry" Bass Tutorial

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mark76, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    By Mr Robert Disner. Enjoy :D

filwitheneff and PanRap like this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Says "video unavailable" on my screen. Is this a joke related to the fact that "When Doves Cry" has no bass line? :D

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Yup :D

4. Check out this bass cover for In the Air Tonight

:)

floridagatorfan likes this.
  5. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    He cheated. He actually played a bass line :p

oldrocker likes this.
  6. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Per Wiki:

"Prince wrote and composed "When Doves Cry" after all the other tracks were complete on Purple Rain. In addition to vocals, he played all instruments on the track. The song's texture is remarkably stark. There is no bass line, which is very unusual for an '80s dance song; Prince said that there originally was a bass line but, after a conversation with singer Jill Jones, he decided that the song was too conventional with it intact.[9] The song features an intro of a guitar solo and a Linn LM-1 drum machine, followed by a looped guttural vocal. After the lyrics, there is another, much longer guitar and a synthesizer solo. The song ends on a classical music-inspired keyboard piece backed by another synthesizer solo. Keyboardist Matt Fink revealed in 2014 that the baroque synthesizer solo was recorded by Prince at half speed and an octave lower against a half-speed backing track, then sped up to create the final version. Fink was then tasked to learn and perform the solo at the album's speed.[10]"

HOWEVER, if you listen to the song and the tuned percussion, there is a bass line waiting. I play A2 E C A1 G and it pretty much nails it.

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    I would love to play that!

So sad, that the video doesn 't come with the tabs! :D

Wise(b)ass

JRA likes this.
  8. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Tabs are for bars, not bass players.

However, if the tab also has musical notation, you have my dispensation to use it

9. Not as cool as the bassline for "Kiss".

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

fun(ny)!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022