1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problem with David gage Realist and EBS hd 350

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Wpipp, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Wpipp

Wpipp

Apr 1, 2011
    Hello

I have a problem with my David Gage Realist bass pizo pickup. It does work with all other amp´s that i use like, Ashdown,SWR,EDEN, any many other. But when i use my upright bass with my EBS HD 350 it dosen´t work. I am using the EBS with many electric basses and it does work fine!

can anyone help me?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    W pipp,
    By doesn't work do you mean "doesn't work at all, as in no sound, or sounds bad. I took a peak at the users manual and there's nothing in the specs that I can find that would cause that to happen. If it's a weak signal then it could be the Realist failing (on some basses they seem to die after around four years) but that's not necessarily the case.

Ric

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    That amp is quite unusual in that it has phantom power on the 1/4" input. I don't know what would use that. I'll bet that it is on and that the Realist does not like it.

4. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    The phantom power can power EBS effect pedals. Not possible switch off?

5. Wpipp

Wpipp

Apr 1, 2011
    yes this is very strange. I've try to disable phanthom power but it does not matter.I tried the old Fishman 100 bp I and he worked through the EBS amp. This is all very strange

6. Hello. Strange, but I've been having a slight problem with my Realist too. Running straight into my EA iAmp800/Wizzy 12 MLine I love the sound of my Realist (Wood, fwiw). The problem arrose when I put a Headway EDB-1 between the pickup and amp input. I experienced a lot of clipping and crackling like I was overloading the preamp. I contacted John Littler from Headway about it and he offered to take my EDB-1 and lower the amount of gain available in Channel 1. Flash forward a couple weeks and I got an email from John today. He said he was told at a recent convention that several other companies have received complaints about too much output from the Realist overloading their products. He also said David Gage is offering an attenuated version. Maybe this is what's going on?

In the interest of full-disclosure, I also had a recent, short-lived problem with clipping when going straight from my Realist into the amp. I quickly found out that when I changed strings the previous night, my bridge had shifted slightly and the foot was moved slightly on top of the connection between the piezos in the wooden wafer and the wires leading to the 1/4'' jack. Simply moving the foot away from where the cable connects to the piezo elements fixed it. I doubt this is your problem, as your Realist works with other amps, though.

I'll be making the first comment in an EDB-1 thread on here as well.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021