1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with low E string - have I just got a dodgy string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Evil Undead, May 7, 2010.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Ok, so I'm having a very small and not particularly significant problem with my low E string.

When I pluck it softly, no problem, but when I attack it, acoustically it makes a very high pitched ringing noise. Random. The weird thing is, it only happens when I pluck over the body, not when I pluck over the neck.

I haven't been able to amp it up yet to check if I can still hear it when it's plugged in (it's late, and I don't think the neighbours would like me if I did that :D) but I played it at rehearsal a couple of weeks ago and don't remember hearing it.

I haven't messed with anything on it since (nut, saddles, truss rod, anything like that).

It has been in my parents spare room for a week while I was on vacation, and their house is pretty cold, but it didn't leave its case the whole time (it's a very well padded hard case, should have offered adequate protection I would think)

Anyway, I can't see it touching any frets, but it's not that kind of noise, more like a ringing than a buzzing, and much higher pitched.

Do I perhaps just have a dodgy string?
    I don't want to be messing with the truss rod as firstly the action is set perfectly for me, and secondly, I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to break it :meh:

Can anyone offer any advice? (Sorry for the long post!)