1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Product Review: KC Strings Gated Extension

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by csrund, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Greetings, all.

For those of you interested in low C extensions, I'm sharing a review I wrote on KC Strings' gated extension, which I purchased and had installed over the summer.

See attached PDF for the review with photos and links.

Hope this is informative and helpful!

Chris

Note: The original PDF attachment incorrectly attributed some products designed by R.C. Williams to KC Strings. Corrected text is now attached, with apologies for the error.

Attached Files:

Lee Moses and etorgerson like this.
  2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks, Chris. That is a well-written review.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    +1

4. RCWilliams

RCWilliams Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 23, 2007
    Merriam Kansas (Kansas City)
    owner KCNC Production and Design
    While I ordinarily let these things pass, I must take exception to some assertions about the bass buggie "peg leg" end pins tilt blocks and bass stand stools, these are m products that I developed while I was an equal co-owner of KC Strings. While I continue to sell them to KC Strings, they are in fact my products, and available through many other resources around the world.

Please pardon me if this is too petty, but one gets weary of having ones creations attributed to someone else.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Does the extension come with all gates or just the E closer for $750?

6. Eric,

All five gates are included for the $750 list price. You can leave them all in place or opt to have only some or only the E in place. Many of the custom made extensions I researched cost several hundred dollars per gate on top of the base price. The KC Strings extension is an extraordinarily good price for a fully chromatic extension. I'm having a blast using it in the section this season.

Hope this helps!

Chris

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks, Chris. Let us know how it holds up after using it a while.

8. Rick,

Boy, do I have egg on my face! I'm terribly sorry for the erroneous attribution of your inventions, and I will post a corrected version of the review asap. The business lineage of these innovations is probably well known by many, but to me, it's more 'backstage.'

Apologies for the error, and many thanks for your clarification.

Chris

P.S. In addition to the mea culpa, I'll also give you a testimonial: When I was a student 20+ years ago, I used to carry my instrument around like a tortoise. When I started playing again last year, the effects of age immediately told me that I need to find a device to provide relief. I'm happy to say that I opted for a Bass Buggie, specifically because of the design that doesn't concentrate impact forces on the end block. I love the Buggie!

Update: Revised PDF is now posted at the head of this thread. (Rick, also sent you a PM as well.) Thanks for gently pointing out the error; I would never consider it to be petty at all. You've created some very cool stuff for bassists!

9. RCWilliams

RCWilliams Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 23, 2007
    Merriam Kansas (Kansas City)
    owner KCNC Production and Design
    Chris,
    Thank you for your correction and kind words, your mistake is a common one, but you maid it so eloquently, I felt I had better try and make sure the reality of the situation was known.

Thanks so much,

RC Williams

10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If anyone in the Chicago area has one of these, I'd like to check it out.

11. MDrost1

MDrost1 Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    I own one. I love it. It is tunable, well built and is the least invasive extension I know of. The only modification needed is to cut the nut. No holes in the scroll etc. fl

Find a good luthier to install it. Was worth the money.

12. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Btw, it has been on my bass for three years. No signs of wear. Solid.

My luthier installed it so when all keys are open it is a c. It comes with a fifth key that was intended to close the c and tune it. So, I have an extra key as well should something happen.

14. MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Brass

15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    The maple version is fairly new.

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Greg, do you know anyone in Chicago area with a maple one?

17. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    No but I'll ask the boss and pm you if he knows of one.

18. Update: After being played-in over a couple of concert cycles, the E closer began to get a bit relaxed, to the point where a loud, long draw on the string would vibrate the gate open. Adjustment was very easy: one full turn of the height regulator screw on the gate assembly has everything snug and smooth again.

The extended string behind the E closer tends to resonate sympathetically and buzz on a fingered E on the D string and, to a lesser extent, an octave above. Keeping all of the gates in the closed position dampens the string extension and eliminates unwanted vibrations.

Having a lot of fun with the extension in the orchestra section. Very nice addition to the instrument.

Chris