1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Product Survey: Pick A Name and Win Two Free!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sponsored Thread, May 1, 2006.

Choose A Name For This Product!

Poll closed May 31, 2006.
  1. Sound Sound

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sound Anchor

81.2%
  3. Forte Anchor

8.2%
  4. Sound Enhancer

10.6%
  1. Sponsored Thread

Sponsored Thread ---

Apr 26, 2001
    Choose a name for this new product, and you'll be entered into a contest to receive two of them for free! 50 winners will be chosen at random from all voters.

The rock stop itself is a wooden box, which increases the resonance of your sound. It comes in square and round versions. We would like one name-picked BY YOU! Please choose your selection above.

Do you have a name idea? Email it to info@nunote.com. We will reward you $100 USD if it gets used!

endpin1.

endpin2.

2. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I made myself one like that with a block of wood when I used to use a stool. It was a solid piece of wood, not a box, though. Now that I play standing I dont use it anymore, but this got me thinking... Maybe you could tie it around your ankle?:bag:

3. Here is another product that can be used for Cello , Bass,
    and Drums.

[​IMG]

In terms of the Wooden Box design, it has some
    potential. I would think that durability would be
    an issue , especially with some
    of the full size double basses out there.

Best of Luck

4. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Was "Bach Chock" taken?

5. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    hmm, doesn't seem very practical when you have to tie it to a chair...but anywho..."Badass Bass Block"? :p

6. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I would have voted "Waste of time and money", but that option wasn't given.

7. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    imho it looks like its made for cello. so maybe thats the wrong forum here?:)

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    "The Perfect Re-Gift"

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    This is a sponsored survey; this client is paying TalkBass to get input from y'all regarding a product name. While you're opinions are valuable, I would ask that we keep this constructive out of respect (this client had enough respect for our crowd to pay for this opportunity). Thanks.

FWIW, given the full disclosure above, I think it's fantastic for a cellist, and if it's sturdy enough, would be nice for me with my stool, especially on the darn tiled floors where my orchestra rehearses. There's a lot of vibration and sound potential going down your endpin...

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Man, had that happen in high school once. ONCE!

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Sound Anchor x 100000

12. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    The Block Rocker- square one.

Rock around the Clock- (clock-face on circle one)

:D

BG

13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Paul, I hear you. You're trying to run a business. This type of stuff is one more revenue stream. Having posters ceaselessly harsh the product can't help attract more, which is bad for Paul and consequently not as good for TB as otherwise.

But that doesn't undercut the fact that the posters were simply RIGHT (if perhaps less than eloquent). It's unfortunate that the first sponsored thread on the DB side happens to be a really numb notion, and people responded as you would pretty much expect. How can you slag 'em for it?

Fundamentally (no pun intended) the notion that a little mahaganoid disc with a volume of three cubic inches is going to positively affect your 41.3 Hz fundamental strikes this double bassist as snake oil.

14. Am I the only one that sees that the things could probably be attached to either a chair or a stool?

15. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    in my opinion every feedback (negative AND positive) is important if you are developing a new product.
    a poll is just an instrument for market research where the validation of the potential customer is in every case important data. whether they like it or not. so imho the succcess of this poll itself has nothing to do with the validation of the product itself.

16. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas

It's not my intention to suggest that we all parade around with fake smiles. If you believe the product wouldn't be of use to you I'm sure the manufacturer would be very interested to hear your opinion. But I believe it is possible to express disapproval of a product and yet still be respectful. My post was in response to the direction the thread seemed to be headed, with like you said "less than eloquent" posts, more like slams...

17. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I would agree - I think the smaller disc is definitely more cello-suited. I think the larger block has some real potential though. I'm a firm believer of endpin resonance, though I can't back it up with any graphs :) I remember Jeff Bradetich's wooden endpin, and how having that extra bit of resonance at the bottom *seemed* to give his sound a real bonus. I do know that when I dig my endpin point into wood the bass opens up more than otherwise. If this block 'loosens up' your endpin, and vibrates with it, IMO it's going to make some kind of sound, or at least loosen up the bottom of your instrument.

Anyway, I'll jump out of this here - I should probably recuse myself given conflict of interest ;) Haha.

18. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    i like the idea of combining a endpin stopper with a special resonator.
    it reminded me of this: http://www.celligence.com/shop/index.html?lang=en-gb

... only a little bit smaller...

edit: sorry, the link dont work 100%, click on "sound podium" on the left

19. Shu-Yi

Shu-Yi

May 2, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for all great responses and oppinions.
    1. I do not own this product. I am just helping the owner conduct a name search.
    2. The straps are designed more for the cello but with the thick rubber base on the bottom side, it can be used as a stopper even without using the straps or the strings. And it's a good tool when you have to play in an all carpetted, poor-acoustic environment. Even for a muddy outdoor wedding gig, it helps prevent my cello endpin from poking the tree roots!
    3. It's not a sound 'transformer' but just trying to add a plus feature to an existing tool.

4. I have recieved some great new ideas for the name!! Thank you all for your time. Please EMAIL me your names to be qualified for your name submissions. Maybe we will start another pool with these submitted names?? They are really good....
    Thanks,
    minority cellist...