1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Profile and Japanese Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soz, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Soz

Soz

Mar 17, 2018
    Recently posted to some older threads.., however;

Any information on the Profile Black Magic series of basses ( circa 1982 ) or Strats would be welcome. I continue to search for these basses as I have two and one of them, my baby of 25 years outdoes my Fender P-Basses across the board, especially for an urgent hot signal and ease of playing. Straight through the desk for recording and live without the need for compression or gating.

I'd love to aquire another. The Strats of the era have a reputation and I'd like to explore that too!

Anyway.., thoughts?
    I'll expand on these and other 'Fender' types. I recently did up a lefty Hondo 2 for a lefty mate. Our Japanese friends were doing amazing things back in the day.

Urgent signals like early Geddy Lee and Jacques from Stranglers continue to impress me, I wont mention Entwhistle, except his technician said it was all in the outboard??!!

Oh well. A guitar wanker is one thing, but a bass wanker is four strings.

Hope to continue the discussion.

Soz
    (Byron Bay NSW, Australia).

ProfileBass likes this.
  2. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    I bought a new Profile P bass in 1984, I think it’s the ‘Vintage’ 59 copy.
    I still have it, I’ll post a pic later.

3. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    3C6AB8D5-80A8-4811-A681-FDA2ED3A43ED. 8458F6D3-76D2-4AD6-B334-1F246055B1EF. Here it is, bought at Arties music Townsville Qld in 1984.

ProfileBass likes this.
  4. Soz

Soz

Mar 17, 2018
    Very spunky, Wizard. I'll get back to the thread in a couple of days regarding these great basses and will post some shots of the two I have. They're a different lot, being the black ones, but I see yours has the thumb rest and ashtray bridge cover like the '50's Fenders, I have a similiar Tele bass in sunburst and for some reason the thumbrest, which is metal, maybe they were mainly wood??? is on the underside of the strings. Don't know why. I could move it but haven't bothered.
    I'm trying to find out more about the history of Profile but it's elusive. Some say they were made in Japan and branded for Australian distribution. Anyway, by reputation they are true solid wood and I know they conform to Fender specs as
    I ve put chunky bridges and tuners on them. What's the nut on yours? Mine remain factory but on my other basses I've had brass and/or bone made for them, which in the end is really neither here nor there but is bass wankerism (a religion like TISM!!).
    Hope to communicate soon.
    Soz

5. Soz

Soz

Mar 17, 2018
    Oh.., fantastic to see the shot of the Great Phil Lynott.., one of the Profiles has been modified to mirror scratch plate and Fender logo in his honour. I am just a cowboy.....Soz

wizard65 likes this.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I know where there's a Profile Black Magic Series P-Bass if anyone's interested PM me and I'll send you the link. I was talking to the seller about another bass he has for sale when he mentioned that he was about to list the Profile for sale.

TD

7. larryatravis

larryatravis

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    This Profile Black Magic is for sale near me. Asking $475 CDN which seems a bit much. Maple fretboard and head seem odd too. Have only seen them with a black headstock. Anyone know if this is legit? Thinking of offering something like $350 and meet him at around $400, which even then might be too much.

Japanese Precision Bass (Profile) | Guitars | Edmonton | Kijiji

$_59. $_59. $_59.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. larryatravis

larryatravis

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Took a bit of a risk and got it for $350. Needs some work, but it sounds good to my ear and the neck feels good... will see.

9. I recalled this thread from awhile back. I've seen/played those guitars & basses before. Pretty much a beginners' instruments, from the instruments I recall playing.

10. larryatravis

larryatravis

Dec 30, 2014
    Canada
    Interesting, what was it about them that made you think that?

I went to an L&M and played two Fender Pro series basses and one Player series bass before going over to try the Profile. While the pro series were obviously better, they certainly weren't $1,650 better. The Player series bass was better, but again, not $500 better. I think I would rate the Profile I played above a Squire Vintage Modified. So, I personally wouldn't call it a beginner's bass.

11. I’m glad you had a better experience. Perhaps the Profiles I played weren’t set up very well.

larryatravis likes this.