1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Progress pictures of the on/off/on again DB

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Darren Molnar, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Darren Molnar

Darren Molnar

Nov 6, 2007
    saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
    humble instrument maker
    Hi all, not too much to show, but here's where I'm at this week. Hmm, seem to have used up most of my free space, here's a few, anyway.

2. Darren Molnar

Darren Molnar

Nov 6, 2007
    humble instrument maker
    couple more;

3. Darren Molnar

Darren Molnar

Nov 6, 2007
    humble instrument maker
    couple more, maybe;

4. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Very nice work, Darren! Looking forward to seeing that back plate finished. Everything else looks great.

Chet

5. Wow that rib and neck wood is awesome. Is it going to be the same maple on the back?

6. Darren Molnar

Darren Molnar

Nov 6, 2007
    humble instrument maker
    Thanks gentlemen, Hi Eli, yes, the wood for the back comes from the same tree as the ribs. It's awesome stuff. Time will tell if my varnish will enhance, or obscure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

7. Go with something on the lighter side and the varnish can only make it better, as much as I love dark varnished basses, Ken Smith explained that the reason a lot of really high end basses use light varnish is because it doesn't hide bad wood. keep up the good work it looks awesome. Even though I'm not really in the market for a bass would you pm me with a ballpark quote.

8. Beautiful!

9. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Beautiful wood (and craftsmanship too)
    I like those ears, what is the max width on the scroll?

Here is a dumb question; Is it common to glue the front plate on first? or do some people glue the back on first?

Is there any advantage to either method?

10. Very nice. I took a view of your website, extremely nice work you do. Those violins are beautiful, I can only imagine the DB will look as good.

11. Darren Molnar

Darren Molnar

Nov 6, 2007
    humble instrument maker
    Thanks all, I'm very gratefull for all the replies. I made it my new years resolution to finish that web site. Still need to put some pictures of finished instruments up, and a few of myself as well. Maybe some sound clips. And gather a few more testimonials. I'll just have to put aside some time, I guess.

Width of scroll is 100 m.m. I think it's much more common to glue the back on first, then the front. I just couldn't wait to glue something together at that point. Couldn't wait to get the ribs off the mold, either. And I put off carving the back till last. ( carving it as we speak)

I'm actually going to remove the front, after the back is glued on, to reinforce the break from the inside. I'll glue the back on with the break bent in place, but just "hanging there" with out any backing.

Lately, also, I've been removing my fronts, after being strung up in the white, to tweak any areas that I think will improve sound. I don't find it a bother, and I like going that extra mile, to get things right. The extra tweaking, two or so times sometimes, seem to help the players "grin overtones" in the upper range around four thousand happyhertz :)

12. klăs'ĭk...that should build some sound!

13. Darren Molnar

Darren Molnar

Nov 6, 2007
    humble instrument maker
    still carvin'

14. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Looks great Darren! :)

15. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Whooo-ee! Now there's some wood to dream about! I'll bet it ends up sounding as good as it looks!