1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Progressive Rock...That ROCKS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Herrick, May 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I'm looking for Prog Rock that rocks hard or at least somewhat hard. Some of the prog bands I like are Yes, Dream Theater, Rush, some ELP, Pink Floyd, Tool.

I listened to a few random tracks from bands on this page but a lot of it sounded quite light. I'm a big Metal fan but I'm not necessarily looking for anything that has any overt Metal influences.

Basically what I'm looking for are prog bands that combine the energy and hard rock level of Rush's 2112 with the aggression of Tool and the grandness of some Yes & Dream Theater works.

Edit: I'm NOT looking for Progressive Metal or anything with screamed vocals. When I mentioned Dream Theater it was more of the technicality and long songs.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If such a band existed I feel pretty confident you wouldn't have to ask here what their name is. That's a tall order.

3. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Let me rephrase that. Prog Rock bands that rock hard and have some nice long songs.

4. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Check this out:

PMagers and Ballin'bass like this.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You could go classic:

Wavy likes this.
  6. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta
    The Mars Volta

Qlanq, pebo, MattZilla and 21 others like this.
  7. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    The first 3 that come to my mind are King Crimson, Dream Theater and Transatlantic.

8. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Here's an "oldie":

higain617, brendanbassix and Herrick like this.
  9. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    The Mahavishnu orchestra -
    Intermounting flame
    That'll set you straight

funkinbottom, fritzk9, LonF and 8 others like this.
  10. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Forgot to mention I already know of The Mars Volta.

I love Anacrusis but they're in the Metal category...and I already listen to them :)

fretter and Fxpmusic like this.
  11. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    Not sure what happened to these guys (admittedly I'm not into prog that much) but they rock! I saw them a few times in the early 2000s.

12. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    There might be only one logical choice ;)

13. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I tried getting into King Crimson's first album but it didn't really tickle my pickle. Transatlaltic's another band that I'm kind of into but not really.

14. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    How about this one:

not as progressive as Threshold but with a cool heavy alternative edge

15. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Hmm...sounds like Transatlantic a little which makes sense. One of the Spock's Beard guys is in Transatlantic but I don't know which one. Which Spock's Beard album do you recommend I check out?

16. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Maybe not in the exact vein but check out Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson

17. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I just heard this one song on college radio and Soundhound-ed it. Like Fxpmusic, I'm not much of a prog fan. I like YES, Rush, and some Dream Theater ("Pull Me Under" single, and the instrumental disc of Black Clouds & Silver Linings).

18. Try more King Crimson... I think you and I have pretty similar tastes and they're one of my favourite bands. My favourite era is when John Wetton was on board, listen to the albums: "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", "Starless and Bible Black", and of course "Red".

Also, I love the song "Devil's Triangle" off their second album. It's definitely not a hard rock sort of a song, but instead, it sounds like it came straight off of a horror film's soundtrack and I dig it.

By the way, all of the John Wetton albums are lot more hard rocking.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  19. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Thanks I'll check those out.

Bellbass and Matthew_84 like this.
  20. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Anekdoten

HaphAsSard, Honch and StayLow like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021