1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proper String Wiping?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rreed, Mar 18, 2009.

1. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Another noob w/ another noob question. I try to wash my hands as often as possible before playing and have recently started the habit of wiping the strings down after playing w/ an old wash rag (yes, clean). I just go up and down the strings from nut to bridge back and forth a few times.

Is this proper and/or is there any other better way to help keep clean and maintian your strings?

2. That's how I do it. But...also clean the area beneath that touch the fretboard and the fretboard itself. Gunk gets down there as well.

FG

3. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Guess I should clarify, yeah I do put a bit of pressure along the fret board to wipe it as well.

Is there any magick snake oil I should be considering as well or just keep it to clean hands and a good wipe or two after each playing?

4. I use a metho/alcohol dampened rag, & then do the same thing. I also us the metho in a jar -put the set of strings in for 24 hrs, take out & let dry for 24 hrs & U got a VERY near new set again. Save my string buying by at least 50%

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Front to back, never back to front!

6. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Huh?

7. Buster666

Buster666

Nov 29, 2008
    dishcloth? Isn't that mede from cotton? Cotton is an abrasive. That's why it leaves swirl marks in a car's paint. Better of to use a MicroFibre towel. Now the superstores sell them cheap. Try to get the South Korean ones. The Chinese microfiber is inferior but OK for applying polish or cleaning strings.

Most methanol is sold as a "De-natured" product, which means that VOCs have been added to revent human consumption. Like anyone would be stupid enough to drink stuff intended for Indy Cars! The added VOCs are usually things like Xylene, toluene, methyl acetate. Stuff that will likely attack things like polyurethane finishes and plastic parts.

Pure ethanol is the safest stuff to use. It can be purchased inder the brand name Everclear. And when you are done with polishing off your strings you can polish off yourself and a few friends with what's left in the bottle.

[​IMG]

8. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    I was wondering what the front to back/back to front thing was.

I'm not sure I'll get that picky and really would never "abuse" alcohol like that.. Haha

I was under the impression the idea of wiping your strings off after playing was to help wipe off some of the skin oil, etc. to help prolong life of strings and generally help keep your instrument clean.

9. Buster666

Buster666

Nov 29, 2008
    You've got it right.
    Abusing alcohol is drinking like I drank. Don't worry till you find yourself pis*ing on cops.

10. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Okay, but what is the Budweiser for? :bag:

11. Don't concern yourself with the "front to back" thing.

That was just an older dude being really, really funny!!;)

12. joeyjazz

joeyjazz

Feb 6, 2009
    Chicago
    I use Finger-ease string lubricant on both my strings and the back of the neck every week or so and am happier with the results I get from using it than not using it.

13. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Ohhh crap, I just got it. Dang!!

14. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Methanol isn't the safest thing to be drinking in the first place... Ethanol on the other hand XD Used that stuff in chem lab, they had to denature it because of the stories I heard the prof talking about.

15. I prettey much never wipe my strings down. They also never corrode and last a really long time... I don't sweat too much and my sweat is also pretty benign. As in, not acidic.

16. ^ That's the stuff you boil your strings in over an open flame

17. Unfortunately here in Australia there is a real problem with Aboriginal alcoholism. This extends to Aborigines often consuming metho. It has even gotten so bad that a service station (fuel/gas) was caught and fined selling refrigerated methylated spirits. This was in the Northern Territory of Australia.

There are even zones in N.T. where no alcohol is allowed to be consumed or sold.

But yeh it is a pretty stupid thing to do.

18. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    ...skidmarks on the G string add to the funk!

19. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    'The Swipe' http://www.the-swipe.com/ helps for getting underneath the string and comes with microfibre cloth too.

Some people may think it's a gimmick, but at the end of the evening after a long gig, and your knackered, it does the job.

20. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    After playing I normally wipe down the strings with a dry microfiber cloth - I'd rather not use alcohol to avoid any of it dripping onto/drying up the fingerboard.
    When doing maintenance (which basically means taking the entire bass apart), last time I tried with an ethanol/isopropyl mix and it took only half an hour to eat away the grime on the strings. After a bit of drying and wiping the strings are as good as new.