Properly EQing your amp and bass.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The1bassist06, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Hi there friends, I have been playing bass for 7 years now and consider myself a pretty solid bass player with my playing and music theory. As emberassing as this is I never learned to properly EQ my bass amp and don't really understand how to. I normally just turn the knobs and fiddle with them till I get a tone I like.

So my question is could someone explain how to properly EQ my bass amp?
  2. hreggi

Mar 24, 2012
    I do it the same way you do, :) just fiddle around 'till I like the sound.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

After you have the tone you want on stage, step out front and see if the audience hears the same. Readjust if necessary. Those controls are to help you get "your" sound heard. If bass is boomy and muddy, cut the bass. If you are weak and undefined in the mix boost mids.
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    That's pretty much it. Fiddle with knobs til' you're happy. Just remember to EQ your bass for the whole stage, not just you playing alone. Also, I find it is way more useful to not have a PEQ or if you have one, leave it flat, but that's probably just me.
  5. zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    What you should be doing is fiddling with the knobs until you get a sound you like.
  6. Alright thank you for the help everyone. I hear people using terms like scooping the mids and stuff like that. What exactly does that mean?
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Scooping is basically dropping them. It may sound cool alone, but with guitars and drums and all that you will want to push the mids, especially low mids, up some. You have to listen to the kick drum and stay out of the way of it too.
  8. Oh this is rich! Thread subscribed!
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    What's so rich about it? Instead of a smart aleck comment, how about sharing your expert opinion, based on your years of stage experience.;)
  10. :confused:? I never learned much about EQing and EQing bass terms or about gear and such. Im not very tech savy when it comes to bass/guitar gear. I always focused more on my playing and music knowledge.
  11. icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Oh man, there was a thread somewhere here that had awesome descriptions of eq ranges.
    Stuff like, 60hz-120hs is boom.
    It helped me a lot when I was learning about eq.

I did a quick search but couldn't find it. I don't even remember what to search for.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, my advice is to start flat. (It would help to know what bass and amp we are talking about here.) I play passive Fender basses mainly so "flat" is wide open on the tone control. And all my EQ knobs are set to "zero". Now, zero on your amp and zero on my amp could be different. Forget what the numbers on the dials say. Look up what "flat" is for your amp. It could be Bass at 2, Mids at 0 and Treble at 2 (just for instance). Once I get everything flat, I simply play a little. If I need a little more low-mids (and like Floyd said that's what will generally get you really thick but still cutting through in most rooms) I simply boost them a little. If I am too boomy, I cut the lows a bit. (You get the point.)

But also as Floyd and B-string said what you hear on stage may have nothing to do with the way it sounds out front. So be prepared to give a little on "your tone". The ultimate goal is for you to hear what you are playing so you can keep time, and for the audience to hear the tone that best sits in the mix. Sometimes they are the same tone, and sometimes not so much.
  13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You're doing it exactly right, IMO.

Scooping generally means to turn down, boosting means to turn up. So if someone says they scoop the mids, they're turning down the mids.
  14. Yeah icecycle, that was a good thread. I have no idea how to find it, not sure what forum it was in- it may not have been in the amps forum. The guy at Barefaced Cabinets also had a similar description on his site for a while, which allowed him to discuss his cabinets, how to use them, and how to avoid common EQ'ing mistakes.
  15. Nobody wants to listen to what I know, so I am in a read only mode. It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about tone. You youngsters need to go on your own tonequest. Pay no attention to the old Fenderman at the bar.
  16. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hey, the advice about just working with your controls and then adjusting for the whole room that has already been given is good.

If you want more insight into EQ points and frequencies for bass, check the Amp stickies for some very good permanent posts about common EQ points and tips/tricks for getting a good bass sound in your band mix.

Also, greetings to you in Three Oaks, my Dad lives over in Lakeside and I have spent years of my life in the area.

good luck
  17. I have a Warwick $$ and a GK MB210.
  18. musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
  19. You're right, no one wants to listen to what you know. On your way now.

You're doing it right, man. Keep your knobs flat (centred) and turn them individually until you find a tone that sticks. If you're playing live, consider increasing your mids a bit in order to maintain presence. However, don't dismiss the bass and treble controls either. A little bit of bass and mids will go a long way to giving you a nice tone.