1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PSU: switches?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kijuer, Jul 10, 2020.

1. This might be a bit of a n00b question, but it's something that gave me a lot of thinking lately, as I purchased some pretty nice pedals and the fear of damaging them has grown.

Long story short: I see no PSUs with an on/off switch, so in order to turn power off one just pulls the plug, right? But I have seen some accessory connector (like those by Temple Audio) which feature a switch.

So I was wondering: does pulling off the plug cause any harm to the pedals and/or the PSU itself? Is the use of a switch "safer"? From an ignorant point of view, pulling the plug seems brutal to me, but the complete absence of dedicated switches on the PSUs leaves me wondering.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Everyone I know who uses them plug into a power strip (with a switch). Any AC powered FX are also plugged into it, too, so that everything can be powered up and down at the same time with the one switch (on the power strip).

Andy V. and MonetBass like this.
  3. I've been using this for my Cioks:

41NT-biyOtL.jpg

But I am upgrading my PSU and the AC/DC converter I got for the new one is a classic one, no switches, just cable and plug. That's why I was wondering. Anyway I have already found an adapter to connect the new PSU to the shown above connector.

imabuddha and TOOL460002 like this.
  4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Unplugging is fine. It does not hurt pedals or the power supply in any way.

Kijuer likes this.
  5. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    MXR MC403. I use one, but it won’t fit under every pedalboard

6. Might I ask where you got that?

imabuddha likes this.
  7. TOOL460002 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021