1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

punk/hardcore bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crossingpoint, Mar 12, 2005.

1. :help: :help: :help: i currently play with a ibanez gsr205 5 string bass in a punk/hardcore band. i hate the tone. :spit: sounds bad. i want to continue playing the same genre of music until i die so i need a new bass. any ideas, bearing in mind that it has to be under $400? :confused: to give you and idea what type of music i play listen to bands like Rise Against, Thrice, Story Of The Year, My Chemical Romance, Senses Fail, The Comeback Kid and the like. suppose its kinda emo-ish too.
    Shot 4 any replies!
    appreciate it.

2. that didnt help at all. im looking at a fender standard p bass or maybe a epiphone thunderbird. any other ideas?

3. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    If you want it, then go and get it!
    Personally i would go for a Fender Geddy Lee, that's the next bass on my wish list :D

Hope it helps.

4. thats kinda outta my reach though... i like the tone on both basses but i just want 2 know if there is anything else out there that might be a better buy?

5. Get a MIM Fender P and you'll be set for punk/hardcore.

6. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Maybe OLP Stingray copies ?

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Under $400?

SX P-bass (www.rondomusic.com)
    Fender MIM P-bass
    OLP Stingray

There you go!!!
    Good luck!!

8. ok, gna feel dumb again... whats the MIM stand for? i assume the Pbass is the precision bass?

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    MIM stands for 'Made in Mexico'

Graeme

10. P = Precision
    J = Jazz

MIJ = Made in Japan = Squire
    MIM = Made in Mexico = Standard (not American or Squire)
    MIA = Made In America = America

MIJ is about $300, MIM is about $400, and MIA is about $900-$1000.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Made in Japan basses are not always Squire. I have a Squire that is made in Indonesia, and I think some Artist Series Fenders are made in Japan.

Graeme

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not exactly.

MIJ = Made In Japan = Quality that rivals MIA. MIJ basses include Geddy Lee's and a bunch of other limited editions. There are also MIJ (CIJ - Crafted in Japan) basses made for a domestic market that can be bought new for about 600-700 that rival American instruments.

Modern Squiers are made in Indonesia and occasionally Korea I believe. In the 80's they were made in Japan.

13. right, so would the MIM p bass b the best option for hxc/punk?

14. che990

che990

Feb 19, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    hey if your lookin for a p-bass Mike Dirnt ( greenday ) just realesed a signiture which is meant to sound pretty good.Give it a look i'm not to sure about prices though :confused:

15. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Look, almost any P-bass would be perfect for you. MIM is being suggested because it can be had for reasonable scratch. If you've got a grand, go ahead and get an American, they feel better to my hands, but you're paying double for that. Go listen to a bunch of Standard MIMs, get the one that sounds and feels right to you.

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go with the SX - they're better than MIM's IMO...

17. spector spector spector(man since that one i played today i have fallen in love with spector)

18. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    for the money i would say a washburn xb-920,its american made and sounds good in that type of music.I played one of thoes but got a stingray5, and now getting rid of it for a warwick thumb bolt-on 4.you can find the washburn for 300-400 I think there was one on here for 300 with hsc.

19. k, thanks for everyones opinions. i must admit that i have never heard of some basses which people talk about in these forums as i live in South Africa, so the only brands that you're likely to find would be fender, ibanez, squire (which i understand is a japanese fender?) and maybe a warwick and epiphone if you're lucky. aria and starfire is quite popular here, but thats because they're cheap - not because they are good. i paid R2800 for my ibanez GSR205, which is roughly about $510.
    overpriced?