punk/hardcore bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crossingpoint, Mar 12, 2005.

1. :help: :help: :help: i currently play with a ibanez gsr205 5 string bass in a punk/hardcore band. i hate the tone. :spit: sounds bad. i want to continue playing the same genre of music until i die so i need a new bass. any ideas, bearing in mind that it has to be under $400? :confused: to give you and idea what type of music i play listen to bands like Rise Against, Thrice, Story Of The Year, My Chemical Romance, Senses Fail, The Comeback Kid and the like. suppose its kinda emo-ish too.
    Shot 4 any replies!
    appreciate it.
  2. that didnt help at all. im looking at a fender standard p bass or maybe a epiphone thunderbird. any other ideas?
  3. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    If you want it, then go and get it!
    Personally i would go for a Fender Geddy Lee, that's the next bass on my wish list :D

Hope it helps.
  4. thats kinda outta my reach though... i like the tone on both basses but i just want 2 know if there is anything else out there that might be a better buy?
  5. Get a MIM Fender P and you'll be set for punk/hardcore.
  6. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Maybe OLP Stingray copies ?
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Under $400?

SX P-bass (www.rondomusic.com)
    Fender MIM P-bass
    OLP Stingray

There you go!!!
    Good luck!!
  8. ok, gna feel dumb again... whats the MIM stand for? i assume the Pbass is the precision bass?
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    MIM stands for 'Made in Mexico'

10. P = Precision
    J = Jazz

MIJ = Made in Japan = Squire
    MIM = Made in Mexico = Standard (not American or Squire)
    MIA = Made In America = America

MIJ is about $300, MIM is about $400, and MIA is about $900-$1000.
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Made in Japan basses are not always Squire. I have a Squire that is made in Indonesia, and I think some Artist Series Fenders are made in Japan.

12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not exactly.

MIJ = Made In Japan = Quality that rivals MIA. MIJ basses include Geddy Lee's and a bunch of other limited editions. There are also MIJ (CIJ - Crafted in Japan) basses made for a domestic market that can be bought new for about 600-700 that rival American instruments.

Modern Squiers are made in Indonesia and occasionally Korea I believe. In the 80's they were made in Japan.
  13. right, so would the MIM p bass b the best option for hxc/punk?
  14. che990

Feb 19, 2005
    hey if your lookin for a p-bass Mike Dirnt ( greenday ) just realesed a signiture which is meant to sound pretty good.Give it a look i'm not to sure about prices though :confused:
  15. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Look, almost any P-bass would be perfect for you. MIM is being suggested because it can be had for reasonable scratch. If you've got a grand, go ahead and get an American, they feel better to my hands, but you're paying double for that. Go listen to a bunch of Standard MIMs, get the one that sounds and feels right to you.
  16. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go with the SX - they're better than MIM's IMO...
  17. spector spector spector(man since that one i played today i have fallen in love with spector)
  18. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    for the money i would say a washburn xb-920,its american made and sounds good in that type of music.I played one of thoes but got a stingray5, and now getting rid of it for a warwick thumb bolt-on 4.you can find the washburn for 300-400 I think there was one on here for 300 with hsc.
  19. k, thanks for everyones opinions. i must admit that i have never heard of some basses which people talk about in these forums as i live in South Africa, so the only brands that you're likely to find would be fender, ibanez, squire (which i understand is a japanese fender?) and maybe a warwick and epiphone if you're lucky. aria and starfire is quite popular here, but thats because they're cheap - not because they are good. i paid R2800 for my ibanez GSR205, which is roughly about $510.