Q Tuner Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ilovepink, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    What do you all think? These look interesting.
  2. I checked around and these look to be the best. I have a set of beyerdynamic dt 250 cans with neodymium mags [same technology as the Q's] and they are simply fantastic. Field reference clean and full spectrum transparent.

Anyway, I just ordered a set of BXL's and should have them installed in the new year - each pup is made to order. I'll let you know once I've had a chance to play with them.
  3. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    They look interesting, sure, but every time I read the site I can't help but think those guys are the shadiest cats ever to enter the pickup biz. I'd never buy something from a company that presents their product that way. It's a pickup, just some wires and magnets. Regardless of how much "research" is put into it, it's still probably the lowest-tech part of the signal chain.

They are pretty rad to look at though.
  4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I don't think he's shady. He has Asperger's which makes him kind of obsessive, but he seems to be obsessive about bass and pickups which might be a good thing. That said, I haven't heard the pickups.
  5. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I played a Knucklebass that was loaded with them. Sounded acceptable to me. They didn't floor me though.
  6. I had a bit of a chat with them about this point and they concede their stuff isn't communicating what it's supposed to. I've done tons of advertising and marketing for high tech companies and usually find some brilliant techno-nerd has come up with a great invention but doesn't have a clue about how to talk to people. After looking at their stuff and chatting with the references they sent I'm convinced enough that this is the case to bet $300 on them.

The trick to these pup's - as I understand them - is they are transparent to the sound of the bass. This means they don't color the sound so it's better for one style of playing or another - they just pass along what they get as cleanly as possible leaving the "sound" to strings, playing style, fx and amplification - where is should be IMHO.

Not for everyone - but what I'm looking for in a pup.
  7. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Now that I might buy. :)

I'm still not convinced that they're solving any real (as opposed to imaginary) problem, but they're not that expensive, as far as boutique pickups go, so hey, they could be fun.