Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QSC plx3402 - overkill?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Jan 26, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

I've got a really great deal on hand on a QSC plx3402 (2x1100w) power amp, would you consider this amp to be plain overkill, or is it just the bigger the better. I'll be running it with a Aguilar db680 pre-amp and mainly an Ampeg 6x10hlf....I think it would be great, never ever to worry about power and headroom, but what do you think.... :)

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Get it! If you don't, pass on the info and maybe I'll snag it! I could always use a second one. ;)

Seriously, this is one phenomenal amp for bass. It is great to have all that headroom, and the tone is very good. But yes, you should be careful. Many cabs out there could be sent to an untimely grave by this amp, if not used with caution.

Tom.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Get it! Just don't let any neanderthal bassists borrow it and drive their cabs into oblivion. Watch your LF boost as well - most cabs can't even handle their rated power down near the fundamentals on the B and E string, let alone the power the 3402 will put out.

Alex

P.S. Who is thrilled with his new (to him) PLX 3002 - so light and so powerful.

4. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Buy it.

Lots of power and good headroom are wonderful things.

And far more speakers are blown up by smaller amplifiers driven into clipping than by Big amplifiers putting out clean power.

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Ok, thanks guys, I guess that's a no-brainer!;)

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's a great amp. Beware though, it makes you want to buy lots of cabinets and make a wall of bass. It also sent me on my mission to find the brown note and play it really really loud.

7. It's nice to have 2 powerful channels available. If you need an extra PA amp, you can use one of your channels for bass and one for the PA.

You can (and in most cases should) turn the gain knobs down when you don't need lots of power.

Aloha,

Jonathan

8. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have 3402 with DB 680 to drive 2 x Wayne jones 2x10 which each needs 800 watts, finally I used the 3402 for PA system.
    You see the Bass cab need a mono power so you can buy a 1602 or a little bigger and bridge them into mono you'll get plenty of power!