1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quality cables?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gaetano Paul, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    I have heard it said you must have good, quality(expensive) cables to get a great sound.
    Is this true?
    If yes or no why?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    nobody needs to say anything else.

4. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Once again Bongo, you schooled me bro!

Thanks buddy. :)
    Should have just PM'd you LOL.

Do you get annoyed when guys like me PM your are silly questions?
    I have often wondered, but you always answer.

5. I’d say not for good sound, but for reliability. I have a whole pile of cables from my band that need repair, primarily because the female XLRs crapped out. You don’t have to get grossly overpriced stuff like Monster, but any cable with Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors and Mogami, Belden or Canare cable stock is worth the extra price over something cheaper with no-name cable and connectors.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pedulla Club #45

6. realbadgroove

realbadgroove

Apr 12, 2008
    Kansas
    I say buy good insulated cable and depending on your power needs heavy gauge. Also food for thought I dont remember the math but the longer your cable is the less power you get to your amps and the insulated cable helps with this. Anyhow make your own because buying cables is a waste of money.

7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Price is not necessarily indicative of quality. If a manufacturer engages in a lot of advertising, that's likely why their cables cost more (a opposed to costing more because they sound better).

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Everyone whose borrowed one of my Livewire elites. Both bass and guitar players have noticed improved detail and better low end in there signal to amp. Qaulity cables make a diff. But if you cant hear this for yourself, dont bother with them. Other then Livewire elite, Mogami is only other brand I reccomend for best sound without spending a lot.

9. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Ok, i will say something.

I love the planet wave cable. That's right ? I used two of them, and i have nothing more to say about them.

10. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Quality cables do make a difference. You just don't have to spend a ton. $20-30 cables will be fine. I use George l's and think they are great. The only time it makes a big difference is when your using total garbage cables.

11. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I use Lava Cables in my rig and elsewhere. I use them because I know the owner personally (and have for over ten years). I also use them because I've A/B'd them with other makes, and Lava Cable products are superior in all respects to my ears. The owner (Mark S.) came to my home (we live in the same town) and literally measured my rig, and we figured out what would work best. The result is the quietest and most tonally transparent set up I've used in 33 years as a bassist. Same goes for pedal board and instrument cables ...

This being said...

As has been noted, use what you like. If it sounds good, then it is good to you. And it doesn't have to be expensive.

For me, Lava Cable products work. For others, they may not. So be it.

Alan

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i buy what's on sale. as long as it's fairly heavy duty, i really don't care.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I like mogami and planet waves and monster because they offer a lifetime warranty. I had a planet waves cable guitar center didnt have a replacement but i got 40$ trade in credit for it. I ended up paying 15$ for a mogami gold cable...

14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Whatever you get... ensure it has some type of strain relief.. you can even ghettofab some electrical tape or something..

they normally break up right at the connectors.

15. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Gold ends will eventually flake and clog up the 1/4 connectors (or xlr etc), this is why you don't see them in the SR and recording side much other than to sell snake oil. I look for decent connectors (switccraft, nuetrik) and belden, canare or similar quality calbe. And avoid monster at all costs. Lately I make my own if I have to but so many people leave cable behind I haven't bought one in years.

16. insulation and conductivity are not related,but good insulation will make them last,and the quality of the shielding is a biggie