1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quality floor monitor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by KingRazor, Sep 24, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a nice floor monitor. It doesn't need to go lower than 100/125Hz, but it should sound nice and clear.

Any good brands to look for?

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Price range??

Powered or passive??

For a passive monitor the Yamaha Club series do a decent job for the money.
    Either the CM12V or CM15V will do fine. ( I have been using the CM15V for about 4-years now with no issues at all).

For powered there is plenty to choose from, for something decent and won't kill your savings account take a look at the EV SXa250 or the JBL PRX512.

3. Yikes, the JBL is over $600. I didn't realize how much it would be. That's why I didn't specify a budget, since I had no idea what the average price of these things was. Guess I have some saving to do.

4. Blasto

Blasto

May 12, 2009
    Carvin

5. Question - if I run the monitor off of the power amp in my rack would I be able to use a passive one?

6. Blasto

Blasto

May 12, 2009
    Passive simply means that the speaker does not power itself. Speakers with an integrated power amp is said to be active.

7. Just checked them out. I like what they have to offer.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Carvin: Hit or miss quality, no resale value.

Yamaha: Decent quality and value. Especially the old SM15IV, which you can get for $200. The current ones sound even better, and the 12 is good too.

The JBL MRX512 is good. Avoid the JRX.

The Yorkville E12 is good (if you put a bag of fiberfill in it to cut the nasty resonance).

9. Looks like it's going to be around $350 for a decent passive monitor regardless of brand. Although the Carvin 12 inch is only $250. On the one hand, this makes me a bit suspect about its quality. On the other hand, it really makes me consider trying one and seeing if it's adequate for my purposes.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021