1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about EMG pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by campbems, Oct 9, 2013.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I am trying to upgrade one of my 5 string bass and get better sound. The only dealer in my area handles EMG pickups only. What type of pickup would you recommend EMG wise. Just want clarity and punch.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

They have several models but even the standard EMG J's sound really good. In fact I'm about to put a set in my Lakland. I already have a set in a custom Jazz I own. Bear in mind, most models are active except the HZ's and will require a battery. The pickups come with the entire setup including pots, knobs and battery clip. If you desire, you can add a Bass and Treble control (BTC) or Bass, Mid & Treble control (BQC) if you have the room for the extra pots.

3. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    What type of bass do you have? I'm gonna assume one with soapbars that fit the EMG 40 size (1.5" x 4.0")?...Maybe a EMG 40P5 in neck and EMG DC in bridge? I hear thats a popular combo. I have two DC's I love it.

4. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Bass1.
    Here is the bass I have. I play christian praise and worship and these pickups is not clear or punchy enough for me. I have a Stingray with 2 humbuckers and love that sound. Any help on what to use would;d be greatly appreciated.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't think EMG makes pickups in that size. You may want to try a preamp upgrade and see if that helps. What brand of bass is that?

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Thats a 6 string bass. You said your interested in upgrading a 5 string bass. If you want to sound like a Stingray those are REALLY different pickups and you are looking at major modifications. Suggest you sell this 5/6 string bass and get something more to your liking.

7. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    That's the same bass I have exactly except mine is 5 string. It's a Raven West bass. It has PICK-UPS BY G+B BD-4 DOUBLE COIL. What does EMG make that would sound good and fit without modifying the bass

8. I don't believe EMG makes a pickup that size. You don't need to limit yourself to what's sold locally, though. Any online retailer should have something that will fit. I've gotten most of my pickups from bestbassgear.com and an email or two should get you the right replacement within a few days.

Edit... I think that's the same pickup size as Bartolini's X4...

9. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Can you order online? Bestbassgear.com would have something that would work or you could have someone make custom replacements. I've had good luck with Christoph Dolph at

http://bassculture.de/index.html

*edit* Tigeraintrance beat me to it.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What are your pickup dimensions?

11. there is something in this sentence that doesn't make any sense.

12. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I just like to have a clear punchy tone. The pickups that came on it are very powerful but they are muffled and sound like your in a hole. I will measure the pickups tonight and see what dimensions they are because I don't want to cut or modify the bass. Question I have is will the Pickups make the difference solely or will I have to change more than that?

13. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    4.5x1.5.

Has anyone heard of G&B BD-4 pickups before? They are extremely hot but the sound just isn't clear.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think you're wrong about the pickup size. 4.5"x1.5" are EMG 45 like dimensions and your pickups don't look like they do. I don't think they are 1.5" high. Can you post an actual pic of your bass??

http://www.bestbassgear.com/emg-pickups-45p.htm

15. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    My bass.
    Here is my bass.Any ideas or help.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ok, this bass is different from the one posted above. You said they were the same. Anyway, it looks like you have EMG 45 sized pickups in there. Should be an easy install. By the way the 45 indicates width size (4.5").

17. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Would that be a good pickup for what I'm wanting? Just want tight clear sound that is punchy.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, All EMG's sound pretty good. Very clean and clear. Won't sound like you're behind a wall anymore. If you like the sound of Jazz basses, they have a single coil model (45J). They have an offset model that is like a P-Bass pickup inside (45P). Here's a link with all the models and descriptions. http://www.bestbassgear.com/emg-pickups-45-shape.htm

You can go on youtube and search for EMG and add the pickup type and listen to demos.

Bear in mind, these pickups are active and will most likely require EMG preamp setup as well. EMG does make a HZ (passive model) that will work with your current preamp. http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/170/31/2

19. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    EMG (active) pickups will likely work with your preamp-just need 25k pots. If they're 25k or 50k already, then you're good to go.
    Passive pickups require 250k or 500k pots.
    Active EMG DC's (and maybe other models also) do not require a separate preamp and can be used with a volume and tone pot.
    Are the G+B dual coils active with 25k pots?

20. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I don't know about that but it is active and has Bass,mids, and highs control.