1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about garage band

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Yvon, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I will try to be clear....

I would like to import a file in garage, either a wav or an mp3 and I would like to synch the project with the file so I would add a drum loop or a metronome.
    How do I do that?
    I haven't found yet.

Thank you

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I find that I need to have the file, usually an MP3, in iTunes first then drag and drop it from iTunes into Garageband. From there you can move it around the timeline to adjust. This is what has worked for me. Good luck

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I was able to do that. Now the problem is that the speed of the song is somewhere between 152 and 153 BPM. Is there anyway to set the speed of a song in garageband between 152 and 153?
    Let's say something like 152.48 ?

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You can change the tempo using the slider but I am not sure how it will affect the pitch of the original song, it may raise it up significantly depending what the original was.

Oh and I think the tempo would have to be whole numbers.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The tempo can be set when you open a new project too.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

When I import an mp3 in garaband and I change the project tempo via the slider it doesn't change the tempo of the mp3. That's how I'm almost able to synch the tempo of the project with garageband.
    The problem now is that the tempo of the song like I said is somewhere between 152 and 153. Is there any way to make a project with a tempo of 152.34 or something like that with garage band?

7. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    It is posssible, If you press Alt+Ctrl+G and click on the orange mp3 file in garage band it changes to purple and then responds to the changes of tempo, which you change by selecting master track info.

8. The GarageBand tempo can only be set to integer numbers but you have an alternative option. You can change the tempo of the music from the wav or MP3 file. It only needs a tiny tweak. Try an application like Amazing Slow Downer. It will change the tempo without changing the pitch.

What you'll still need to look out for is the possibility that the tempo changes during the tune. Tempos that are driven by human timing tend to creep one way or the other. If this happens, you can still break up the file and tweak the components with Amazing Slow Downer until you get it to match your GarageBand tempo to a satisfactory level.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.