1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about getting a good slap tone...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by daren_woodall, Jun 11, 2007.

1. daren_woodall

daren_woodall

Jun 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've never been an equipment connoisseur and I don't really know how to craft a desired tone or how to employ pedals and such. Now that I'm using Amplitube as my recording solution I have much "virtual" equipment available, enough that someone like me could burn months experimenting, but probably settle on nothing.

That said, I'm trying to get a good "slap" sound. What effects (delays, chorus, filters,etc), EQ, and other advice could you offer that will give me a start at dialing in a good recording slap tone. BTW, I'm playing a Cirrus 5 and my technique is pretty good.

Perhaps too general of a question, but maybe a good start to a discuss.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Daren

2. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Compression...On my jazz, I compress the lower freq and leave the highs alone...then I blend both equally. So, try compressing the lows/mids some and tweak from there for a 70s slap tone.

3. daren_woodall

daren_woodall

Jun 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This is my inexperience talking, but do compressors offer the ability to compress frequency ranges? Do you mind elaborating on this abit?

Thanks, Daren

4. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
  5. daren_woodall

daren_woodall

Jun 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Ah, yes. That's what is meant by "dynamic range compression". I was a little slow on the up-take there.

I think I wasn't aware of this because my recording setup doesn't have a dynamic range compressor as a default plug-in and Amplitube 2's compressors effects are not dynamic. But, you did get me think a little out of the box. I'm wondering if I couldn't setup up a multi-amp rig to accomplish a similar result. The outcome might be surprising.

I hear ya on this. Technique is where most of the tone comes from. I feel generally solid here, I just want to give it the extra polish for recording purposes.

Thanks again.

6. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    No prob.

7. for a good straight forward slap tone, leave effects out of it, except for a bit of compression which will tighten things up quite nicely, but don't over compress or you'll lose the dynamics and too much of the low end. you can try eq'ing a little mid scoop in somewhere to suit your taste, but make sure you don't lose yourself in the mix by doing this...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021