1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Question about La Bella Gold WHITE Nylon Tape Wound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassworship1, May 25, 2016.

1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I have ordered a set of these for one of my basses and was wondering what they are like tonally? I've never used Tapewound strings and was wondering are they like roundwound's or Flats or in between? I don't like the thud of traditional Flatwounds so I'm hoping they are not like that. Anyone ever used these strings?

2. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    You might search the forum for this. A few weeks ago a wrote a small review on these strings.

3. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I have searched many diffrent ways and can't find it.

4. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    They're wonderful. One of my favorite strings. Not at all thuddy like traditional flats. They are quite bright and sustain well. Not even the slightest bit sticky. They are truly a joy to play, and they sound fantastic.

Nick Danger and Bassworship1 like this.
  5. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @Titania ,
    That sounds wonderful and what I'm looking for. I'm thinking the gold will look good on my basses that have the Gold hardware.

seang15 likes this.
  6. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    They'll look great! I have a set of the special edition "Game of Death" Labella gold white nylon tapes on my Spector. I've had them on for about 6 mos, and they still sound fantastic.

Game of Death Strings 2a.jpg

Attached Files:

coyoteboy likes this.
  7. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @Titania ,

Do you think they will sound good on a fretted bass? Those look awesome by the way.

8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
  9. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    Yes, they will. I have them on some of my fretted basses, as well.

campbems likes this.
  10. DPG003

DPG003

Oct 15, 2011
    I also have the Labella "Game of Death" gold white nylon tapes on my Skyline 5502. I love em. They are basically the same string as the
    La Bella Gold White Nylon Tape Wound with a fancier look hence the "limited edition". Love the look of the G.o.D. set. Warm and punchy with a super smooth feel. I prefer them to flats.

20160618_1144531_zpsqet8xtte.jpg

. 20160618_1144391_zpstiwtwzgp.jpg
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

campbems likes this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I bought a set of the plain white, gold-white, and copper white LaBellas. Of the three, the copperwound white nylon was my favorite set - but all three sounded really nice, and have a feel you have to experience to believe.

IMO you really can't go wrong with any of LaBella's white nylon sets.

Nick Danger likes this.
  12. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I use the Coppers and really like them...Tried the Whites, but never tried the Golds. How would you compare the Gold vs Copper?..Thanks

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The coppers are warmer sounding with more complex mids. At least to my ears. The golds are about midway between the brightness of the plain whites and the coppers.

I would seriously consider using the golds for some things. The plain whites were a little too bright for my taste. But I don't like an overly bright string anyway, so that's just me. All three sets are excellent strings. I've got a copper set on a Squire VM Jag right now. (It's an active bass.) And those strings made a huge difference in the sound of that inexpensive instrument. The rounds I originally had on it were ok. But once the LaBella coppers were on it, it really opened up. It now has this nice lush vibe that works equally well for classic rock, blues, or jazz.

(Confession: I never really cared for the sound of tapewound strings up until LaBella came out with their white nylons. And I tried just about every brand prior to those. None of the more traditional nylons ever lasted more than a day or two before I pulled them.)

14. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for that comparison and description....I too prefer the Copper tapes and their growly warm mids. They have replaced the well worn Black tapes on my Rob Allen fretless and allow that bass to sing even more!

RodRy and 40Hz like this.
  15. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Sort of reviving a dead thread, but I'm trying to get a set of MEDIUM scale (34.25") versions of these. Anyone here know where I can find them, and if not:
    Are any of you interested in getting some medium scale light gold white tapewounds?

16. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    To me, they sound like well settled in nickel plated rounds with the treble rolled off a couple of numbers. YMMV.

17. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    0A60D697-F957-4A2A-AE2E-F5A1B53C06C6.jpeg

Another spec ed gold tape: purple haze. They really worked well, but took them off to try progressives. Might put them back on to see how well they stand up to a pick.

18. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Very unique strings... the cool thing about these strings they slap like Rounds wounds...

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021