Question about rack cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Nov 27, 2004.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I was doing a some research for my rig that i'am putting together and i need a rack case because i'll be getting a qsc rmx 1450 and a bbe bmax preamp.

Anyways i know nothing about rack cases.

I do know a few brands like gator and skb but could you guys help me out?

I need to get a case that will fit both my qcs rmx 1450 and my bbe bmax preamp in it and i don't know what to look for.

And the little screws that you screw your rackmounted gear into do those come with the rack case or do you have to buy those separetly?

I was looking at some rack cases earlier though and do they need to be a certain width and a certain depth to fit my gear in them?

Btw i do know the 2u and 3u stuff sicnce my gear now will take up a 3u rack space i'd like to get maybe a 4 or 6u rack case to have sufficient air flow and extra room in case i get a power conditioner or rack mount tuner.

Rob :bassist:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    generally the screws come with the case, if not they are cheep
    all racks are 19" wide but you should check the depth of your equipment to make sure it will fit with the lids on
    i'd reccomend against a 6 space case as they are just god awful big. a 4 is much more convenient.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hey i was going to ask a similar question since a change in my rig is going to force me to buy another 4 space rack. Are the gator racks as good as the SKB's? I notice there is about a $40 diffrence in price between the two. I already own one SKB that I bought used several years ago and it's still going strong but hey if I could get by with spending less for a case what the heck.
  4. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Another case for consideration is;

As far as size; I need 6 spaces, but went 4 & 2 rather than a 6. (Easier to carry and I'm old.)
  5. Hey guys,
    Anyone with a Gator case, please help me out: do the locks go on top, facing up? I just put my amp and power conditioner in a new Gator rack but I'm afraid I may have put them in there upside down, or backwards, or something. Because with the locks on top, the rack covers latch at the bottom, and this seems wrong -- the covers kind of fall right off when you undo them.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Dave, I had the same thought on my Gator case. So, I mounted everything so the locks were on the bottom. Ofcourse now the the little Gator placard on the lid is upside down. :p Oh well.

Btw, other than that little screw up by Gator, I really like this case. I know it holds my Trace Elliot head which is pretty deep and I still have about 4 inches more in depth available.
  7. I was thinking about getting a 6 space gator rollar rack until I found one at a local guitar center. I just looked at it and felt and figured theres no way in hell that can support a 55 pound power amp. Given that, I recently bought a 6 space Road Ready rack. Good bye spine.
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Those roller racks sound pretty cool but like you I checked them out and I did't think they could handle my rig. They just felt and looked cheap.
  9. If you're looking into something for 'round town use, I'd highly recommend Grundorf Mighty Light cases. I just goton last week, and it feels stronger than plastic and it's super light. The depth of these are 16" which is more compact than other designs. They also look great sitting on my Eden cab. ;)

10. Thanks, Kelly.. that's what I was wondering. I racked and re-racked the stuff like three times before I finally just gave up! Locks on top for now, we'll see how it goes. I agree, the Gator rack seems more solid than the SKB.
  11. I just ordered a Gator 2 space rack for an all tube bass amp.
    The amp is 17.25" deep & weighs 50#'s.
    Do I need to support it in the back ?
    If so,how would I do that ?

Thanks, JJ
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    from having major back problems right now, i highly recommend that you get a 2 space unit for the 1450 and a another 2 space unit for your pre/conditioner...... i use a 6 space and the combined wt. of the power and tube pre has really messed me up.

rdial likes this.
  13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Get a Grundorf. I have had 3 or 4 of them and they have all been great. I wouldn't use anything else.

I'll second breaking your gear up into different racks. I know yyou loose a little of the convience of having everything hoked up in one rack, but the trade off for you long term back health is worth a couple extra cords to plug in. Do a power amp rack and a preamp rack.

Another benefit of this is if you are playing someplace where you are using someone elses gear, you can just grab your preamp (where much of "your sound" is determined anyway) and run it into whatever power amp/head/cab that is at the venue.
  14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Where deos one shop for Grundorf racks? Thanks!
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think sam ash may have them

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can install rear rails for it, although i would reccomend gettign a little block of wood just high enough to fit between the bottom of the rack and the bottom of the power amp - you dont need it to be too big, maybe 6"x2" so the back of the amp sits on something.

i definitly second or third the suggestion for a divided rack. these days my stewart 2.1 is in one rack and my demeter preamp is in another. sometimes i leave the demeter home and use my swr electric blue head as a preamp or even my sans amp bass di.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    IvanMike, I have a sans amp bass DI stomp box too, but never tried it as a pre-amp pushing a power amp input. Does it sound good and have enough gain? How does it sound compared to your Demeter? Thanks.
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Right now-i've got a Gator 6 space roller rack that has all of my gear in it. I've got a Carvin DCM 2000 [3 space] power amp that isn't light.

I have thought about going into the divided rack setup-except, it'd be to go w/a two 4-spacers and a 6 space for my doubling needs. Use the 4 as a preamp home and use the 6 for gigs where i'm doubling on upright and BG. The logic? 3 spaces for the power amp, and 2 of my pres [they're all 1 space]-so i'd be taking up 5 spaces with a spare space open for the power amp to breath. I use a different pre for EB than i do for DB. The second 4 spacer would be nice to use on gigs where i just play EB, however, i think for the sake of money-i wouldn't get a 3rd one and just bring 2 pres anyway. I can see where having the 2 separates would be cool [a preamp rack and a power amp rack] and think i might look into it. The catch-i'd probably ended up using my current 6 space rack as an escuse to get more preamps, and then just buying a 4 space to stick the rack in.

Moral of that? Ramble.

Original post-i dig the Gator Cases. I bought mine used off of a guy on here.