Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Roscoes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 4, 2004.

1. some roscoe basses have angled pickups and some have straight pickups. what effect does this have on the tone of the bass. when you order a roscoe do you get to choose? or do particular models just have the straight pups.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    supernaut,
    The LG model (slightly downsized body) is the one with the slanted pickups. In theory, some would argue that slanting the pickups will add more of a treble presence to the tone, but Keith says that he slanted the pickups just because he liked the look. Also, if you're a slapper, the slant in the bridge pickup gives you a bit more room for slapping near the neck. Keep in mind, though, that if you like the LG body style but don't like the slanted pickups, you can get an LG with straight pickups at no extra charge.
    As for the bass that commonly has the straignt pickups, that would be the SKB model (slightly larger body size). Other than the pickup orientation and the very slight differences in body shape, the basses are exactly the same. Hope that helps. ;)

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've read about Keith's reasons for slanting the pickups as well as talked to him about it, and it's true, but it also definitely does affect the tone, because the pickup is going to hear the string at a different tonal location. Closer to the bridge, brighter, less rotation, farther away, deeper, more rotation. Admittedly, it might be more subtle than you'd think, but definitely sounds different. As I recall, Spectors typically "reverse" the "Z" when they use "P" style pickups. Changes the sound in a way they like.

P.S. I have an LG-3005, and I'd tell Keith not to change A THING! :)