Question about Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beauville, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Beauville

Jan 6, 2004
    I recently tried out my guitarist's Whammy pedal the other day. I hooked up my distortion through it and had a blast, so now I'm interested in buying a pitch shifter/chorus contraption.

Since the Whammy is made for guitar, I've looked at the Bass Whammy, but people said you might as well buy the Guitar version because it's better.

Are there any other models that I could try out? And would you recommend the Guitar Whammy over the Bass Whammy?

Thanks. :cool:
  2. Morley makes some really good effect pedals. I myself have their Bass Wah and Alligator Volume Pedal. I'm not too sure if they'd have a pedal exactly like your looking for, but you might want to take a look.

BTW, IMO there's really no difference between Bass pedals and g**tar pedals. I tried my guitarist's Bad Horsie 2 before I bought my Wah Pedal, and it sounded exactly the same...YMMV.
  3. If you're that into bending notes, then get a fretless.
  4. Beauville

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm talking about Digitech's Whammy Pedals.
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    yeah whammys dont bend note at all. they just cut out sertian parts of the frequency range.
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    If you dare, listen to some Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. Reed Mathis does some interesting things with effects on bass. He uses a guitar Whammy (must be some upper octave setting) with a Snarling Dogs wah and an E.B. volume pedal to "control" it. The results are mind bending. He's also been known to use an octave down pedal with his upright!
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My whammy is like the world to me.

I love it!!!
  8. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I could have fun with one of those...
  9. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I always liked the idea of the Whammy. Really dug Vernon Reid's use of it on the last last Living Colour record. Then Tom Morello ate my lunch when I heard him with it in RATM.

When I tried one it certainly vacuumed the tone out of my bass sound, but that's going to be the case w/ any kind of pedal, even if specifically made for bass. Esp. so for one that's digitally altering the pitch like this one.

Still, plenty of groovy tricks to be had w/ that thing and a delay...
  10. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Could someone post a clip of them using one please
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Not true in the least. Saying a guitar pedal and a bass pedal are exactly the same is like saying a bass and guitar amp are the same. Different circuits have different frequency response, so some will handle bass frequencies better than others.

As for the Whammy, forget the Bass version. It sucks. So does the Whammy II, and the XP100 Whammy Wah. They suck too. The only ones to get are the original (which fetches big bucks), or the re-issue Whammy 4. The three made in between suck tone big time.
  12. Beauville

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks for the awesome reply, man. I'm expecting my Whammy 4 in a couple of weeks.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The whammy 4 is fun. I finally got mine back from my guitar player, and look forward to spending more time with it this weekend. I've never had a problem with losing much low end, even when playing a 5 string with it.
  14. just wondering, but what is the difference between the guitar whammy and the bass whammy? why is the bass whammy bad?
    i don't know, my only bass whammy experiance is tool, for example schism, and it sounds just fine. i've never used one, so i don't know.