Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question Askes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, Sep 13, 2004.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I was doing the joel d... bartilo or sth book and this is the major scale fingering and how the practice goes.

The scale structure the exercise

-----------------------------------
    ------------------------------------
    ----------3--5--7--8-----------------------------3--
    -1-3-5-6-------------------1-3-5-1-3-5-6-3-5-6----5-

So how do i finger it? So i strech my fingers or do fast shifts? Either way is complex coz streching my hands hurt and shifting has to be done too many times.

And if i ever solo or do super fast riffs, will not alt. the right hand so down speed over string skips??

Thanx.

2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Hmmm...let me see, I will copy your tab and then show the way I would finger this.

----------------------
    ----------------------
    ----------3--5--7--8--
    -1-3-5-6--------------
    I would finger:

---------------------------
    ---------------------------
    ----------------------3----
    -1-3-5-1-3-5-6-3-5-6-----5-
    I would finger:

Note the 1 to 1 shift in the first example, and the 1.2.4 "spread fingering" over five frets in the second example. If you are up the neck toward the nut, you will have to shift your hand with both these fingerings. Of course you have to shift your hand to get the 1 to 1 shift, but the 1 to 2 over three frets I also play with a hand shift. I do not attempt to spread my fingers out up at that part of the neck.

tim99.

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    What? Please ask this question again. I am confused.

4. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanx but isnt the 1.2.4 shift too painfull. I mean bassically its a strech coz you are coming back to the 1. My hands are small and its so freaking tensed with this exercise.

The rt. hand alt. thing was that i do raking when i change strings which i play on. Will this affect my speed in any ways?

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    No. If it's painful, find another way. Ask a teacher or another player if you have to.

I shift my entire hand. I do not splay out or stretch out my hand. I put the first finger down on the first fret, and the other fingers are close to the strings but where they want to be in a relaxed manner, then I shift my entire hand without rotating it to put my second finger on the third fret while the other fingers are close to the strings but where they want to be in a relaxed manner, then I shift my entire hand without rotating it to put my fourth finger on the fifth fret while the other fingers are close to the strings but where they want to be in a relaxed manner. Then to go back to the first finger first fret, shift your entire hand back again. This is not classical guitar. The bass neck is longer and the frets are further apart up there.

Many here would disagree with me, but during this process my fingers are not parallel to the frets. Mine point toward my left ear. My fingers become more parallel to the frets as they get closer to the seventh to ninth fret, which again is basically under my left ear.

But, I am always working toward stretching out my fingers to cover the fret positions, and working on making my fingers parallel to the frets. I just can't do it way down there. I tried to while working out "Cumbersome". I found that keeping my fingers parallel to the frets caused my hand to need to shift more and slowed me down.

Hmmm...yes. If I understand what you are doing, raking should be faster. A wonder if a teacher would recommend that you also work on good standard alternate plucking with the first and second fingers of your plucking hand. Don't be afraid to stutter to start a measure with your first finger or play a higher string with your second finger. I find that good standard alternate plucking helps my sight reading, even if I would work out a better and faster plucking later if I have time to practice a line.

For every person who tells you to play one way you will find another who plays another way. We do not all play bass in the same way, like the violins in a symphony bowing all together.

A few more things. Welcome to talkbass. Please fill out your profile so we know more about you and where you are from. And when you post a question, try to form the question in the title of the post like a newspaper headline, and you will get more answers. This thread did not get the responses that it would have gotten if "pain" or "fingering" were somewhere in the title. We are pretty big on helping people not play with pain.

tim99.