question for strings winery

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by panzerfaust, Oct 14, 2021.

1. i knew some of you here treat strings like wine,....and never change it for years or even for the rest of your life.,....

i knew how does it feel and i love to,...i mean i love the tone of crunchy dark roundwound that sounds like alcoholic warm,.....

but i have a question ,....

what should i do if the strings lost its tuning consistency.,...out of tune in several fret,....
    and now ,..a classical music player invite me for jamming that occured on next several weeks,...i dont have to explain how authoritarian they are if they talk about tune,...

so.,...what should i do,...? should i simply change to new string ?

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    If your strings are having issues staying in tune consistently and reliably, they need to be changed, period.

3. Flats = fine wine = improves with age.

Rounds = champagne = once the sparkly bubbles are gone, time to open a fresh bottle.

Tuning and intonation issues are a sure sign of wear.

Root 5, Joebone, Reedt2000 and 25 others like this.
  4. so,...your suggestion is i should change the string and buy flatwound ?

5. i just cant let it go ,..you know dark zingy things.....

6. I'm not suggesting you should switch to flats necessarily. All I'm saying is once a roundwound wears out to the point of not tuning properly, there's not much you can do. You simply can't treat rounds the same way you would treat flats.

Mili, HolmeBass and Gearhead17 like this.
  7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    If you like the tone of broken in rounds, I’d look into Pressurewounds

8. how about pressurewound or daddario halfwound.....could i treat it like flat ?

9. No. Their optimal tones do last longer than typical rounds, but they do wear out eventually. The GHS Pressurewounds on my Jazz bass are 20 mths old now and are starting to show signs of wear. When they're worn out, their tone becomes too dull and lifeless to be useful.

MattZilla and CallMeAl like this.
  10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    If you’re looking for strings you can keep on for years and not worry about intonation, flats are your best bet.

i personally hated the feel of half rounds on the fingers. GHS Pressurewounds are one of my favorite tones straight out of the pack; but I found them a little too stiff and I didn’t keep them. So can’t really speak to longevity.

Can you separate and prioritize your goals/preferences for:
    intonation and longevity VS tone VS finger feeling and stiffness?

You might have to compromise somewhere…

11. For a roundwound that can retain their useful tone for a long time, look into pure nickel rounds. I would suggest GHS Balanced Nickels over Pressurewounds.

12. hmmmh.....i am using dr fatbeam right now,.....which one you think has longer age if compared to GHS balanced nickels ?

1.intonation and longevity
    2.tone
    3.finger feeling

that's my priority ranked from number 1,...so....flats....right ? any recommendation flat that little bit zingy and bright 45-105 ?

13. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
  14. now i am considering dunlop flatwound..,..after looking some youtube demo,..what do you think ? any cons ?

15. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Never tried Dunlop. People keep recommending Ernie Ball cobalt flats, but haven’t gotten to those (yet). So many strings out there…

Ive tried Chromes, Rotosound 77 and Fender 9050. Honestly sound-wise I woulda been happy with any of them, the deciding factor was the feel. (Smoothest feeling, and Chromes come in a 40-95 gauge which is what I’m using now)

16. okay .....thanks by the way......

CallMeAl likes this.
  17. Dunlop Flats happen to be at the top of my "must try" list of strings. Based on everything I've read so far, it sounds like they can age like fine wine. I want to be able to put them on my Jazz bass and forget about changing strings on it for awhile.

18. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Even the finest wine goes bad in time. Time to change them and fall in love with a new bottle, er, string.

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    My opinion: As soon as rounds lose their zing, change them. As for flats, never put them on a bass.

Rabidhamster, 80jazz and JRA like this.
  20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My sound man knows me so well (at least a decade) that he tells me when it's time to change strings, if I don't catch it first.

Anecdote which is related: at the last gig, in the last set of the gig, I heard a loud crackle as the treble side of my EMG EXB died without cause or reason. All three of us: soundman, drummer, and me, all heard it and simultaneously looked at each other as I lost all articulation. Fortunately, we got through the gig so I could diagnose it and get a replacement, which has been hard to find with all the items you hear on the news: chip shortages, transportation issues, etc.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 21, 2021