1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for tech people on older ampeg 410 he cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konig96, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Konig96

Konig96

Mar 13, 2016
    So I have an older 410 He (92' or so) that I am refinishing. The older HE cabs like mine were rated at 200watts @ 8ohms. Mine has the Eminence 32 ohm 10's (wired parallel I am assuming). I want to install new speakers with an 8 ohm total but also want to up the rms wattage handling. How exactly can I do that? I realize wattage isn't everything but would still like to increase the power handling a little bit.. Here is what I don't understand. According to the research I have done, total watts is the same in both parallel and series (including series/parallel). So 2 200w speakers together equals 400w. My Ampeg PR-410hlf is rated at 600 watts at 4 ohms (I think). Thats what, around 4oow @ 8ohms. If the older 410HE is 200 watts rms, were the older eminence speakers only like 50watts or something? Here is a link to one article I was looking at. Understanding Basic Electricity of your Amp and Speakers | ActiveBass. Thank you for any help on this.

2. Your cab presents a certain impedance to the amp usually either 4 or 8 ohms.
    The rated power handling capacity of the cab is always the same. It does not change. Speakers do not produce power. Two 200 watt speakers = 400 watts capacity regardless of series or or parallel wiring.
    The amp max output power changes with the impedance presented to it. Assuming a solid state amp.
    A cab presenting 4 ohms to an amp will allow the amp to produce more power than an 8 ohm cab.

3. Konig96

Konig96

Mar 13, 2016
    Maybe I didn't clarify my question well enough. My He cab has 4 - 32ohm speakers for a total of 8ohms. It is rated at 200watts @ 8ohms. The speakers themselves have nothing on them except the 32ohms and the item number. They are the standard eminence 10' #86-032-01. The current model of that same speaker is rated at 32 ohms-100watts. How can my cabinet be rated at 200watt rms with 4 x100watt speakers in it? Wouldn't it be a 400w rms cab?

4. The speakers are not the same. They were redesigned for more power handling. The old drivers were 50 watt units.