1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question. from EB Cobalts to flats for the first time

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by my07bass, Aug 11, 2012.

1. my07bass

my07bass

Aug 27, 2008
    I usually play EB slinkies or hybrids, 45-105.

I'm wanting a less bright sound and thinking of trying flat rounds.

Reading they take extra tension, which flats do you suggest?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  3. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Bongo, they are rounds that have been squeezed down, not ground. I know you know that though, a typo I'm sure.

4. my07bass

my07bass

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks! I ordered some this morning. I'd still like to try to flats if anyone has any suggestions.

Maybe D'Addario (.045, .065, .085, .105.) flatwounds?

5. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Some flats have high tension. I like Rotosound flats..not slick but not rough..kinda of in between. Half rounds do the trick on one of my basses...sat the tone right down and feels great to play.

6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I've used quite a lot of d'Addario Chromes. Both sets ECB81 and ECB84 were very nice to play. The ECB84 has more equal tension across the board. Recently I swapped to Ernie Ball flatwounds. They are very equal to the Chromes. I've read that EB had them made by d'Addo till recently. The advantage of the EB's is that I can order them as singles. I recently converted my Ibby to BEAD, so I'm using 60, 80, 105 and 130 EB flats. I like the relatively bright sound the d'Addario and Ernie Ball flats produce.

7. my07bass

my07bass

Aug 27, 2008
    Tried the pressure rounds and like them. Smoother but still bright.

Being a pick player going to try something a little more subtle. Going to try the D'Addario ECB81 next. Thanks everyone.