Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on sliding

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by epitaph31, Jul 11, 2005.

1. epitaph31

epitaph31

Jun 23, 2005
    I am learning the bass line to Speed of Sound by Coldplay. In the 9th measure, it is continuous G notes in A, then slides down to B in E. My question is, exactly how do you do this? I can slide on the same string, but I have no idea how to pull this onto a lower string.

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    there is a B on the A string

3. epitaph31

epitaph31

Jun 23, 2005

I know but it is marked as being on the E string

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you looking at tabs?

There's your problem. Tabs are written as how one person plays it, not the way it NEEDS to be played. Put it on the string where you need it.

5. epitaph31

epitaph31

Jun 23, 2005

It is tab, but below the actual notation. And the notation has it marked one lower. This is in Bass Player magazine, so I assumed it would be correct.

Oh well, what you said makes sense, they must have gotten the notation and tablature wrong :p

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've never seen a tab of a song that was correct.

7. epitaph31

epitaph31

Jun 23, 2005
    I agree, I have only been playing for almost six months, and try to stay away from tabs as much as possible. Glad I took the time to learn how to read music.

8. i bought the same issue. This is how I believe it is played:

Fret the G with your index finger, slide up to the 7th fret with your index on the A string, then fret the B on the E string with your middle finger as soon as your index reaches the 7th fret on the A string.

I hope you understood my desription. If you didn't read on:

You reach the 9th measure, the 9th measure has straight eighths of G, fret those Gs' with your index finger, count them as you play, "1..2..3..4..5..6..7..", as soon as you get to "8", slide up to the 7th fret on the A string, when you get to the 7th fret, fret the B on the E string with your middle finger, and play the Bs'.

9. epitaph31

epitaph31

Jun 23, 2005
    That worked out great! Thanks for the tip...