Question regarding Bow Quivers

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by MikeBarber, Jan 31, 2005.

1. I couldn't find any info among the newbie links, so I thought I would ask if anyone can tell me anything I need to know about Bow Quivers before I buy one?

I'm curious, how do they attach? Are they tied on, or conected in a more permanent way?

Any recommendations as to what to look for, what to avoid?
  2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    They attach through one of the string holes on the tailpiece and around the endpin plug or tailgut.

Mine was starting to bug me so I tied it around my Manhasset music stand. I like it a lot better than on my bass.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You generally tie them through the string holes in your tailpiece at the top and around the bottom of the tailpiece. You don't want one that's too soft or it kind of conforms around your bow and makes it hard to get out. You don't want one that's too hard or it can buzz where it lays against your tailpiece. Many people made their own, I got mine from IDEAL. Mike Weatherall at Gage's makes a pretty nice one.
  4. Thanks for the quick reply!

I noticed one of the TB advertisers sells a HD-vinyl bass bow quiver... anyone have any experience with those?
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get one where it'll definitely stay open. The Weatherall is on my Popsicle Stick, and his has plastic-coated cable sewn into the opening so that it won't close and make it hard to insert or remove the Stick.
  6. "You don't want one that's too hard or it can buzz where it lays against your tailpiece."

I've been having this problem. I'm using a leather quiver from Lemur. It's very well made and looks sharp, but it really buzzes on certain notes (I forget which ones). I like Monte's idea of tying it to a music stand -- I'll give that a try.
  7. " How come there's no music on yer music stand?" " Oh, I can't read, I just bring the stand to hold my bow quiver"
    Another good reason to NEVER get away from the REAL BOOK!
    Jeeze! :crying:
    Ray Brown came up with one about the time he had those Ray Brown Lycon strings. Probably in the early 60's. It really was nothing more than a long tin one of those Pringles potato chip cans. Although you need a bigger one with a bigger hole so you can hit it with the bow. Anyway, the can was mounted (screwed) on to a piece of plywood. Then the whole thing was spray painted. You could even put your initials on it like Ray did!
    It also gives you another piece of equipment to carry.
  8. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Maybe a shoulder mounted version would help with the possiblity of buzzing. It would make an interesting impression as well. :)

Attached Files:

9. :p

I'm pretty sure I would get fired from a gig if I showed up dressed as Legolas (unless, of course, it was Halloween).
  10. I have the Lemur leather quivers on my bass and my daughters, and have never noticed any buzzing.

How tight do you have your's attached?

Mine is hanging on it's leather thongs, it is not tied tightly against the tailpiece.
  11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    How do you tie them to your daughters? Are there pictures?
  12. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Don't cry Paul!! I'm talking 'bout my legit gigs... :) At least for the most part. My orchestra is doing a Leroy Anderson piece that is 95% pizz, and I definitely need a bow quiver.

Actually, I do bring a stand and a pocket changes with me as an occasional crutch when playing with guys I don't play with often. I don't have good enough ears to catch tunes right away that I don't know. I know I could get the changes by the second time through, but in OKC land, leaders here frown on getting it wrong the first time. I prefer trying to tough it out and learn the tunes on the stand, but I prefer to get called back to play even more!! :help:

My name is Monte, and I'm a Real Book-aholic. It has been 243 days since I last used the Real Book.

That feels good.
  13. LOL... well, as he said:

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Good idea. You could substitute a piece of PVC pipe for the can and make it just about any length and diameter you wanted.

My wife bought me one for Christmas. It's the leather one from Lemur. It's nice and stiff so it stays open easily enough.

If you tie it loosely it doesn't buzz as much. It tends to swing away from the bass, at least mine does.

I haven't quite figured out the best way to use it. My senses tell me to turn the bow over when you put it in the quiver so that the stick rests in the crotch created by the seam and the hair doesn't really touch the inside of the quiver. The problem with this is, you have to turn the bow over everytime.

If I can get away with it, I will quiver the bow rather than hold it if pieces with pizz-arco switching will allow it. It is a little tougher when you have to flip the bow over.
  15. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Here is a good pic (I think provided by our own Brent Nussey) on exactly this.

I also wonder if there would be any tonal differences if you installed this drink holder?

16. Make one that holds a pint of Guiness and I'm sold!
  17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    My dear, departed friend Lloyd Grace, one of the greatest drummers to ever walk the planet, had an ashtray mounted on a cymbal stand. Probably why he's no longer with us, but I can't imagine his drum kit without the ashtray.
  18. Rays "bow can" sat, mounted to it's wood base on the floor in front of him.
  19. teachbass

Dec 13, 2004
    You think with all the advances they have made recently in arrow space technology they would have this quiver thing solved by now...
  20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Give me a minute . . . I know I have a softened tomato lying around here somewhere.