1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Richard923, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Richard923

Richard923

Mar 29, 2015
    At age 47 and having had played bass to one degree or another since age 14, I have decided to get an upright. It will be the second one I've owned - but I have zero chops having had studied --briefly-- w/ the instrument a long long time ago. I never worked on the upright professionally and never put in the time needed to get to that place. My first upright bass was fun, but was unused. A friend's son wanted to learn and couldn't afford one and I lent it to him - permanently. So, now years later and I am with the same excitement I had as a kid - but question whether I should seek a teacher at this point -- or would you think pulling out my Simandel and dusting off the Fake Book be a good way forward?

2. Richard923 likes this.
  3. I too felt there was an upright in my future. Friend had one and I went over for some pointers. Here is what I decided.
    1. It's a big son of a gun.
    2. I have a one seat pickup truck how am I going to get it to gigs.
    3. No lines, OK not a step for a stepper.
    4. I''m retired and my hobby budget is retired also.​

So I gave up the idea, but, kept going back hoping to find something in my price range. About this time another friend bought off the Internet a $500 upright. Had to send it back as it was a piece of junk.

I bought a Rogue no line fretless 4 string bass guitar and this seems to have settled my need for an upright.

For what I do - Country and Praise from fake chord - the upright just does not fit into my World. But, to answer your question - go for it.

Richard923 likes this.
  4. Richard923

Richard923

Mar 29, 2015
  5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Get a teacher.
    URB is a completely different instrument,
    requiring a completely different technique.

Do you best to pretend you don't know a thing.

Jon Moody and Richard923 like this.
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    A few lessons might be good. At least to get posture, intonation, and left and right hand technique squared away so you don't have physical problems down the road.

7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I am classically trained (played URB since sixth grade, toured Europe with an international symphony, etc..), and cannot stress mambo's comment enough. The upright is a different instrument that is more physically demanding, requiring more precise technique or you will hurt yourself.

Get a teacher. Even if you only get some lessons for a couple of months, a good teacher will give you the proper technical foundation for holding the instrument, elbow placement, how to properly hold the bow and use it (and yes, you should learn to use the bow) to ensure that you're not fighting with the instrument.

Get a teacher.