1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rymsk19, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Rymsk19

Rymsk19

Jan 26, 2011
    Hey, I just purchased an Ampeg B2RE Head. 450 watts at 4ohms and 250 watts at 8ohms. I want to buy a 4x10 cab that is 8ohm impedance. the cab is rated at 400 watts rms and 800 watts peak. I also would be hooking up my 1x15 that is an 8ohm and can handle 300 watts. Is it safe to use this head with that cab? Or will it blow the cabs?

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Watch your volume and you should be okay. Also don't boost the lows too much.

A 3x10? Not many of those around. What kind?

3. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    It is safe to use, but you shouldn't pair it with any other cabs as you will end up with a load that is too low. You'd be better off finding an 8 ohm cab if possible. that way you can pair it up with another 8 ohm cab later. there is a volume difference in a single 8 ohm and a single 4 ohm though. So if you NEVER plan on adding another cab, then the 4 ohm single cab is fine.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Urgh, you are talking about "underpowering", aren't you. Please read the FAQ. You cannot blow any cab with too little power. Otherwise turning the volume down would kill speakers.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't know what his post said before the edit, but he's not asking about any 4 ohm cabs. :)

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

He was talking about a 4 ohm 3x10 before the edit.

7. The OP originally asked if it was ok to hook up an Ampeg B2RE head with a 3x10 4ohm cab and a 1x15 8ohm cab, he meant 4x10 8ohm.

@Rymsk It's fine, go rock out.

8. Both cabs = 700 watt handling @ 4 ohms. It will be fine with that head.

FWIW, I used to own that head and that rig should sound pretty awesome.