1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about a '65 P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beat Bass, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hello, it's my first post, I like so much reading this forum and I decided to ask for your comments about this Precision bass.
    I have bought it ten years ago for about 190 euros, and it was in a very bad condition. The previous owner painted it grey and varnished the neck very bad, the frets fall down from the fingerboard...:crying:, and routed the body as if it was done by his teeth, to install two extra jazz bass pickups (like a Fender Urge).It is supposed to be made in 1965, and it has all the hardware gold. I begin to sand the body and the original color is white. I show you some photos and I would like to know your comments.

Here's the date on the neck:
    [​IMG]
    Serial number in the neckplate:
    [​IMG]
    The logo seems to be removed to varnish the head:
    [​IMG]
    And the body:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Your pictures aren't showing up.

3. Invisble Ink again?

4. Uuups, sorry!
    More pics:

The head:
    [​IMG]

These are the pickups and the pickguard that was mounted in the bass:
    [​IMG]

Tuners (they work backwards):

[​IMG]

Thanks

5. IMO, the nicest thing about it is the pickguard. :meh:

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I am not exactly sure what the question is... the tuners were reversed then. I myself would just put it back together... string it and play it.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    65 should still have the "reverse" tuners.

My very late 64 certainly does.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Well, you could spend a lot of money to restore it partially or in whole, or you can get it to 'playable' and write any of the oddities, such as the bad routing and mods as 'player's mojo'.

You could also take the middle road and get a nice refin on it and get the neck sorted out and go from there.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Put it back together and play it.
    :)

Or put all the parts in a box and send it to me. :)

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It was originally 3-tone sunburst, not white. The neck is the big question. From what I see, the neck heel and tuners look like a '65, but the fingerboard has been planed down a lot, and the truss rod may have little adjustment left. The neck may be basically toast, unless you invest a lot in getting it restored.

I am uncertain what you are saying about the frets, and since you have hidden the fingerboard, I take it you want it to be a mystery. Why? Oh, right...:p :p :p

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    my 65 has reverse tuners but mine has something that i found out is rare.. My 65 P has a slab board instead of a capped finger board. I was told the neck may be a left over form around 63 then...

12. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I thought I said that it should...my '65 did

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    same here but different.mine has a burnt orange looking rosewood which I was told only appeared on about 100 of them.
    I need to take a better picture of this so it is more visible
    100_5096.

14. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Mine is with Jummy form Alleva Coppolo getting restored... The slab fingerboard on my 65 was the rare thing for a 65.. I have only seen capped..

15. Thanks for the answers
    Sorry, my english it's not very good (I'm from Spain). When I bought the bass the frets were almost totally unglued. Later I'll make a picture of the fingerboard.

Now the bass is fixed, the pickups are fender ('62 P & '60 jb), a 2band EMG pre, and it's refretted.
    I want to quit the EMG and let it passive, and maybe change the pickups

Anyone knows about the gold hardware? It's original?

Thank you so much, you're a great help.