1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about Carvin B-1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haxattax, Oct 1, 2013.

1. haxattax

haxattax

Oct 1, 2013
    found a deal on craigslist recently about a Carvin B-1500 deal including a ART 341 Dual Channel 15-Band Equalizer and a Behringer MDX 2200 Composer Pro and a Gator Powered Rack for around 400 bucks.

My questions are:

1) I have an Ampeg SVT-810AV Classic Series 8x10 cab. Is this a proper cab for this head? Because I really enjoy this cab and I don't want to have to replace it.

2) I play in a metal/djent style band. I will be playing with a cheaper 5 string Ibanez SR until I can find a better bass. Will I be able to get a real growly, puncy tone with this head, similar to say bands like After the Burial or Volumes, or will I need to get a pre-amp/pedal.

2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The B1500 is a clean machine. The drive adds some harmonics, but I wouldn't say dirt. That said, I've never heard either of the bands you mention, so I can't really comment there. I did want to just chime in though and say that it's an absolutely killer head with more headroom and power than you can imagine, and that that is a great price. I usually see them in the $450-550 range by themselves, without all the other gear. They're also incredibly sturdy and durable. And one of the best tones I've ever heard out of a bass rig was when I combined mine with a sealed GK SBX410, so I'm betting it would play well with your sealed 810. That combination, with the drive at around noon or 1:00, did growl nicely to my ear, but again, my growl might be your clean and mild. ;)

At that price, you could part out the components and flip it and make some money if you don't like it.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    The B1500 is known for tons of clean volume and quite a bit of low end, but if you want growl or dirt from it, you'll need some kind of external effect. The drive knob really doesn't overdrive the tone.

I can't speak to the Ampeg 810 because I have zero experience with them. But I see no reason why the Carvin wouldn't work with it.

4. haxattax

haxattax

Oct 1, 2013
    Any suggestions?

5. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I'm not the person to ask. I'm pretty much a clean tone guy. Check around Talkbass. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I also have no idea of who these bands are. So unless knowing what they sound like is really crucial to getting your question answered, you might want to just describe your preferred tone - and leave it at that.

That said, if "growly" and "punchy" is what you have in mind, have you considered a Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II (700 watts @ 4 ohms)? Or perhaps a GK 700RB-II instead, if you can make do with "only" 480 watts, and want to really maximize the growl? Of course, the 1001RB-II can growl as well - though you might have to crank it to ear-splitting levels in order to get it. :meh:

Word has it that the Mesa M9 Carbine is also in this tone world - though it's also a lot more expensive. It gets really, really loud!

MM

7. haxattax

haxattax

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I stumbled onto a Genz-Benz GBE 1200 for about 650 bones. It seems to have the punch I'm looking for even at high level which is awesome competing with 3 guitarists with tube amps. Seems to be a steal

edit: Typos

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Pass on the Carvin get the Genz Benz.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Get the deal, sell the other two components and buy a good overdrive/distortion pedal. There's some kickass new pedals now designed specifically for bass that don't lose low-end and also have true bypass (when disengaged). If you want some names, I'll dig out all my Bass Gear mags and give you some, if Tom don't mind. ;)

You can't touch a GB head that performs like the Carvin for less than 2 or 3 times as much. The DRIVE does add thickness and character to the sound, but it's not like overdriving a tube amp. It's still good though. I keep mine at half.

10. haxattax

haxattax

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks, gonna go with the Genz Benz if I cant get my Sunn 1200s working properly.

PS: This is the tone I'm going for ->

11. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    The Genz will get you close on the tube preamp channel. The Carvin won't without an external effect.

12. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    the B1500 and an 810 IS LOUDDDDDDDDDDD it is a clean LOUD but VERY LOUD... i have one and play with an 810 with a band that has three guitars and i can overpower them if needed i havent been able to try and get grit as it would over power every one and i just got the amp so I have not been able to really noodle with it yet.. great amp though IMO.. I also have an SVT 7 pro that kills as well and can get gritty and paired with 810 superb together...

13. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY