1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about creating a setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lone_Wolf, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf

Aug 7, 2008
    Hi, I am new and don't really know too much about creating a decent amp setup for cheap and also for my style so i might need some help.

I have a 4 string Fender Jazz bass and my tuning is in drop C.

I have recently come across and purchased a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass driver DI and am now looking for a rig to put it through.

One thing i have come across that is on sale for a decent price is a Fender 300 Bass amp head.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/danomite64/Image3a.jpg

My style of play is mostly post hardcore, so a good drive and powerful sound is what i'm after.
    Would anyone here recommend this amp head or something else that would suit and is easy to find?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's a good amp, do you have your speaker cab sorted? You'll want a 410, or 212.

3. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf

Aug 7, 2008
    I came across this head so i think i might get that first then sort out a speaker, since its a 300 watt head yeah i think i'll have to get a bigger cab.
    thanks for the advice

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Sansamp will provide the "drive" tone, so all you need to do is get loud with it. Since the amp head you're looking at provides 300W @ 4 ohms, in order to get a lot of volume you'll want as much speaker surface area as you can afford, either in one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohms cabs (together they make a 4 ohm load).

Since the Sansamp is capable of driving a PA-style power amp, you may find used power amps in your price range locally which may have a lot more wattage for the same money. You don't have to use only "bass" amplifiers, PA amps work great and often have more power per dollar.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021