1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Bart pre-amp question?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nonohmic, Aug 9, 2007.

1. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I'm looking at swapping the MK-1 Bart pre-amp in my SR505 for the Bartolini NTMB 5.2 A/P.

Will this be a straightforward swap?

Can I use the same knobs/pots or will i have to get new ones? Especially considering the volume and mid control have a push-pull selector.

This is my first foray into electronics so please bear with my rookieness.

Cheers.

Bartolini NTMB 5.2 A/P

2 Pickup - 5 knob configuration

Controls:
    - Volume (push/pull active-passive)
    - Blend
    - Treble
    - Mid (push/pull freq selector)
    - Bass

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In my experience just extracting these two comments the answer is no, even if it were a straight forward swap.

Will this be a straightforward swap?

This is my first foray into electronics so please bear with my rookieness.

My first swap was truly a drop-in (BTC/EMG PJ's into an GSR200). About as simple as it gets and I still screwed up the jack, also the bridge pup was a hair long actually.

The Bart will come with the associated pots if you're buying new which I'm guessing you are cause the 5.2 is designated as much by the pot configuration. It would probably work otherwise but why swap pots in a harness that's complete if it's the proper configuration for the bass. With the harness assembled, you've got less probability of screwing anything up and that's not to be minimized. The volume pot would typically be the only variation if any so you might compare the two for resistance.

At any rate, you'll just have to cut and paste the assembly if you're wanting to use other components or use a different configuration (or just buy the proper configuration to begin with). Regardless, cutNpaste is not a beginner project so expect lots of grief and frustration, trial and error, and higher probability of failure if you go that route.

In the end, you're bound to learn something of value whether you get the results you want or not.

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    The Barts come in a pre-wired harness. You basically just need to wire pups & battery (if you're going from 9 to 18 volts). I recommend letting an expert do it. It shouldn't cost but about $30. And yes, you can use the same knobs.