1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Compressor Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Apr 13, 2006.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i recently bought a Presonus Blue Max Compressor off eBay. my question is regarding the manner in which i hook it up...

what i do:

bass > input of compressor (left/mono) > output (left/mono) > input of amp.

is this correct? i know there are multiple ways of attaching a compressor, but is this ok? i feel like it's a stupid question, but shit, the only experience i have with compressors have been in recording studios in which i don't exactly know how they're connected anyways. (i should though).:p

2. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    I put my compressor in the effects loop, in between the preamp and poweramp.
    The reason for this is that you may want a louder signal for the compressor to function properly.
    That's what the owner's manual of my dbx 160A says, anyway.

3. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    hmm, so i guess it just depends on what you want eh? well, i'll try doing it that way too. i just wasted to make sure i wasn't doing anything wrong.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's what I did. Try it that way and through the loop and see what you like better. I think it's better to do it this way.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think so. The specs that are published on that link pretty clearly put it across as a line-level device (100K input impedances and "Operating Level +4/-10dB Selectable").

When it comes to output voltages, basses have pretty hot outputs - in the 'line level' range - but a 100K input impedance would surely 'drag-down' a passive bass considerably; I dunno about actives, but I'd imagine it could reduce battery life, at least. I think that a 'normal' amp inuput (I mean 'what a bass expects to see') is more-like 1M (or 1000K) - this means that the Presonus asks for ten-times the current from your bass,than a 1M input would.

Im pretty sure the BLUEmax is supposed to run in your loop!

Also: it was cool of you to provide a link to the specs like that, to help techs more easily answer your questions. I hope it serves as an good example for others.

Joe

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to Joe. It may work OK to plug your bass in direct, especially if it has a very hot output, but really the Bluemax needs a preamp in front of it in order to work its best. The onboard preamp of an active bass may be sufficient, but again as Joe said the batteries may get drained more quickly. So, go loop!

7. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    alright, thanks guys. i'm quite a novice when it comes to compressors, (obvioiusly); so i really appreciate it.;)