1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick request for help on true bypass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stringmaster, Sep 19, 2010.

1. I used the search feature, but there are so many disscussions on "true bypass" that it was hopeless. I'm getting a DOD overdrive pretty soon. I love DOD's in every way except for their crappy switch, terrible tone suck. I'd like to know if anyone has a diagram on how to switch it over to a 3pdt. Thanks a ton.

2. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I know someone will help you out with the diagram, but I do have a good advice as well, something I'll try soon too!

Try this:
    http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=33

Look around that homepage, they have lots of true bypass pedals/switchers/loopers. I guess a true bypass looper might be something you'd like to try.

I have some true bypass effects and some that are tone-suckers. I was looking for a way out this problem when I found about those loopers.

Hope it helps!

:bassist:

3. Is there a way to just modify the pedal it's self? I'd rather not use more space than necessary for one pedal on my board, opening it up and modifying it sound like a fun project :)

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

DOD overdrive is pretty vague, there are dozens of them. Which one is it?

5. FX-91
    Sparkly yellow.

6. It is a PITA. The older ones are set up with the circuit board extending the length of the pedal. The tactile switch sits above that very close to both the footpad and the circuit board. You need to set some sort of enclosure above the pedal and then mount your switch to that. I used a Hot Wheel but I traded that off and it apparently met a horrific end. I think the recipient tried to test out the stompbox quality of a Hot Wheel car and smashed the 3pdt into the circuit board. I saw one that looked eerily similar to mine on the Craigslist recently in none too good condition. Oops. Try to find a better enclosure.

There are 6 wires coming off the board. Input, output, switch, LED, ground and I think the last is for 9v. You'll need to get into the input, output, and LED wire and switch those according to any true bypass schematic. My old DODs all power up with the effect on, so you can just remove the switch wires and it will work just fine.

And because I love posting this pic:

0927081058a.jpg

7. Not gonna lie, that's pretty BA.

8. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    ^ :barf: ^

You do NOT need to do that. You can drill through the footswitch plate (secure it down obviously) and add the new switch without that horrible mess.
    Trust me.

I had this exact thing done to my Super American Metal (FX-56B) and it works great and looks a LOT cleaner than that mess. Bypass signal is dead quiet now.
    I wish I could tell you how to add the TB, but I actually had my pedal builder friend do it for me as a return favor.

ps - the DOD FX series is, IMO, the single best sounding line of budget pedals out there. The only problem(s) with them have already been addressed.
    Looking forward to learning how to do TB myself, cause I'll certainly be buying more FX series once I learn how.
    ie SUBSCRIBED

9. Trust me, I didn't start off with that as my plan. It would have looked much better if that wasn't a rescue mission. I drilled through the footswitch plate just as you described and no dice on the footswitch fitting. Tried to work it out a few different ways, but that switch wasn't ever going to fit in there. If your buddy found a 3pdt with a smaller profile then mine I'll buy that as a possibility, but I wouldn't count on what you buy being the right size unless you get good specs before you buy.

I could have found a nicer method to install it but I'm a cheap bastard and I wasn't terribly interested in spending more on the TBP mod than I did on the pedal.

10. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Don't consider anything bad said about that.

Metal Toy Car DOD Classic Tube must be the best pedal for Metal!!

:bassist:

:D Best looking pedal ever!!

11. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    :D

I honestly missed that it was a toy car the first time I looked at it!
    I'd like to retract my original reaction cause that actually kinda rulez.

But just to show that it CAN be done without sacrificing your hot wheelz collection...

100_0785.jpg

12. I completely agree. I had a classic tube like the hotrodded one posted, but sold it due to tone-suck. I'm hoping to be able to do it like on your pedal, but I do have a little yellow hot-wheel under my fridge somewhere...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021