R.I.P Louis Johnson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funk$tar, May 22, 2015.

1. Rest in peace, Mr Johnson, and many thanks for all the music you gave as well as the inspiration you continue to give.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  2. Steve59

Steve59 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Praise the Lord for you Louis! Warrior, Friend, Brother in Christ.....
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4‬:‭7‬ NIV) RIP.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Bass'd In Colorado likes this.
  3. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    That rare spirit you can feel from the very first time you hear a song... a summer night's drive in the back seat of the parent's car - late 70's - "I'll Be Good To You" - the trippy funk of "Strawberry Letter 23"... then you find out that "low guitar" is called a bass - soon there's a Stingray in the house.

A true king of bass and the best kind of pure inspiration - here's to Louis Johnson and all his music.

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    All the more reason I think the Sting Ray is the Louis Johnson sig bass, because as far as I'm concern it was he that put this bass on the map.

FlatwoundFunk and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I actually felt that it was he who taught me how to play without ever meeting him.. I only have 4 bass player that I truly gravitated to when I would hear a record that I knew they were on. 2 of them now have passed ( Louis Johnson and Mark Adams )

squidtastic and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    RIP Thunder Thumbs. He was the paragon for my slap bass playing efforts.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in the day, these were called "SongBooks"- KINDLE_CAMERA_1430589882000.jpg

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have this one, Right On Time, & Quincy's I Heard That!! (which has some nice bass work by Louis)... KINDLE_CAMERA_1430589940000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1430590065000.jpg

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From I Heard That!!-
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1430591820000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1430591914000.jpg

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Amen.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Oh there was much more. You have to understand that he studied under Ray Brown when he was real young.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  12. FlatwoundFunk

FlatwoundFunk

Apr 16, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    Really? That's awesome news to hear. I love it when things such as this comes up because it gives an better understanding as to how the great and admired came about to their level of skill. A lot of us bassist see an mid or end result and want to copy that part without a "true" understanding of the path that laid before the craftsman.
    FF

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What's the reference for that? I never heard of Louis Johnson studying under Ray Brown before.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...maybe Ray & Louis hooked up during some Quincy sessions.
    As far as "studying", I have not heard that, either.

15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    RIP man, loved all the Brothers Johnson records, Michael Jackson work and others. Great player and groove.

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I shouldn't say studied, however when I lived in California ( 89) my next door neighbor ( who was a trumpet player) and Louis went to the same H.S together and they knew each other rather well. Anyway he would mention that Louis and Ray would get together quite often and practice when Ray was in town. Hey he knew Louis and I had to reason to doubt it and I knew both of them were on some of the Quincy Jones sessions so it wouldn't supprise me if the both of them did get together, however I wish I could've met Louis while I was out there.

JimK likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the information! It's always good to get a little more information about our favorite players.:bassist:

Bass'd In Colorado and JimK like this.
  18. Remguy

Remguy

Mar 26, 2008
    Montreal
    Embarrassingly, this is the first I am hearing about LJ and like all of you, I am saddened by the news. 60 just ain't old enough, especially for someone who is still contributing to his already enormous and excellent body of work. Witnessing the passing of yet another musical icon of my childhood, I feel old (at 52), like someone in a retirement home watching all his friends disappear one by one. Maybe it's the weather, today is cold and grey (Montreal and tomorrow is June!), but I definitely feel like I'm in a FUNK...

Play on elsewhere, Brother Johnson.

19. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    oh he paid him for it . It was just Louis had to fight to get it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021