1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack build DONE!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamzcl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    FINALLY got all my components assembled today. I know it's not everyones taste and a piece or two are purely cosmetic, but every piece was thought out for a reason.

I already had one Ampeg logo from a previous blank but I wanted vented blanks this time. I went with hex shaped vents to be similar to the vent in the Crown amp.

Then, since you could see through both vents pretty well I decided one of those ProCool LED fans would be nice to see a little color through there...and it wasn't that expensive. The 3 fans are VERY quiet and this rig should NEVER overheat :D

All the components are listed in my profile if anyone is interested and can't tell from the pics.

Let me know what you think :)

001-7.jpg
    008-1.jpg
    006-4.jpg
    005-3.jpg

2. Dude, your rack looks like a PC case. I am digging it!!!!!!

3. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Thanks Bob :)

4. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Man it looks sweet! good job. Dig the fans! :bassist:

5. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Thanks jazzblade :cool:

If I ever want a change I can take the Ampeg vents off and front mount the fans too (just need to dust it off first). The fan guard wires are actually black but the flash makes them look chrome-ish.

009.jpg

6. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger. Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Dang, dude! That looks pretty slick! It makes me want to build a rack rig. :atoz:

7. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    NA I like the old school 'blue" through the vents. People will be going, '"What the hell is he running"?

That does the rig weigh?

8. Awesome! I really like what you've done.

9. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Thanks guys :)

I haven't weighed it yet, jazzblade. The Crown itself is 29lbs. Those rack rails on the rear are actually pretty heavy. The fans hardly weigh anything, but the wall-wart it came with is THE heaviest wall-wart I've ever felt! I'm guessing it's creeping up on 70lbs.

10. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    You using those fans as intake or exhaust? I'm assuming exhaust. Should get a thermometer and see if it cools it better using them as intakes to create more circulation.

11. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Oh - and about the Ampeg logo vents.

I got the logos off of eBay and they are metal with 3 prongs on the back. I ground the prongs off so it was flush on the back.
    Next I took an old mouse pad and cut thin strips out of it. On the back of the logo I super-glued 5 stragecially placed pieces and then glued it to the hex vents. I like it out in front of the vent instead of gluing it directly to the vent - that way it gives it a shadow line and more depth.

Logos are on solid as a rock :)

12. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    The way these are facing, they are blowing air towards the preamp (so I guess intake)....actually, all fans seen are blowing back to front.

13. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    I think those crowns are pulling air from front to back, at least thats what looking at the fans tell me.

Either way, the blades are facing different directions, so ones doing one direction and the other is opposite.

14. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Nice rack, haha

15. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    That looks amazing!
    Good Work!

16. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    You are correct - my mistake. I just checked and they are indeed pulling from front to back on the Crown.

17. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Ah! As someone who has built lots of PC towers, I was going to recommend to have your rack mounted fans blow in the opposite direction of your Power Amp exhaust fans to create circulation. In a closed (or somewhat closed) environment like that you want to try to keep your intake flow close to your exhaust flow. That setup should keep everything nice and cool. :cool:

18. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Looks awesome, good job...

19. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    The Crown seems to run pretty cool. I did an outdoor gig with it in about 85 degree heat running two 600 watt cabs and you couldn't feel any heat coming from it, even after 4 hrs. The rack fans should be overkill for the preamp :)

20. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I tried throwing a red rope light into the back of my rack once to get something like that effect (see Diamond amps, they've got the same kind of look)... however, when I did it, it looked like I had a red rope light thrown in the back of my rack. This looks slick!

I think it's probably overkill with the fans, but better safe than sorry I guess! Where did you get the fan and light assembly?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021