Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack case for DB728

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZisBass, Jun 5, 2005.

1. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    I was looking for reccomendations on a rack case for the Aguilar DB 728. I've searched the forums and all but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm pretty sure I want a shockmount case, and I was kind of thinking SKB as they'll be lighter than a wood case. I'm concerned about the foam shockracks not giving enough ventilation to the amp but I've never had to deal with racks before. The SKB roto shock rack looks nice but expensive, any thoughts? Any reccomendations on a 2 space rack case for the 680?

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I put my 728 in a foam shock case. All I had in there was the pre, the 728, and a power conditioner. With adequate space for ventilation, it was fine. That meant a 10 space rack. It is very heavy. Thank God it has wheels. Watch the depth of whatever you put it in. With the fan toggle, you need a 19" depth and spaced covers. It is a long sucker. I have an Ace Case, a traditional ply and skin rack ,and the weight of the amp twisted one rack rail, stripping the screw (I only could transport the case on its back as the wheels made it too big for my cabin and it put a lot of strain on the fixtures). I recommend, if you can afford it, a Mesa shock rack or a custom Anvil-style shock. Get a good one, protect that big beauty!

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Two options... I have a skb 8 space rackmount I put both the 680/728 with a tuner and lights/power. Needless to say it's heavy. Since my SUV is in the shop I had to take everything in my car. I have a gator 4 space shockrack that works really well. so well, in fact, I think I'm going to keep it in the that 4 space case and get a new rackbag to carry the preamp and tuner

4. I had to lurk on e(vil)bay for a while, but eventually managed to secure a Mesa Boogie SUS-4 shockmount rack case. If you can manage to be patient and have the $ it's the right way to go. The SUS-4 is built to take the weight, the suspension is second to none (it will baby your expensive amp) and no foam means proper cooling. Of course it's also very heavy...

5. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    I've been thinking about getting a non shock mount case for the moment as it's a lot cheaper and I'm not playing out enough at the moment to really need the shock mount protection. But I do play enough to worry about the heat/air circulation in a 4 space non shock rack. Any thoughts? I've emailed aguilar but no response yet (been over a week). A friend of mine at a music store can get me a deal on SKBs and maybe gator cases. Been looking at the roto cases, are they sturdy enough for a 60lb. power amp? I think I'd like to go plastic or whatever they're made of to save on weight. Saving on weight is definitely a form of shock protection with a heavy tube amp...

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    you should be fine. There are vents in the front that will keep it cool. If you're really worried get a 6U rack and leave two spaces open on the top for even more ventalation.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I like the idea of getting a 6U also. That we you can leave one space open and put a power conditioner in the top or just leave two open.

8. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I used to keep my DB680 pre and Demeter VTHF-300M amp in a 6 space SKB rotorack for weight issues but it was still quite heavy.

Just recently I bought a two space rack bag (at GC for around 45 bucks) for the preamp and left the power amp alone in the six space rotorack. The difference 17 lbs makes to the overall weight of the rack has been quite dramatic for my scrawny build (allowing the open two spaces above has also made a difference in the overall heat particularly after a long gig). For smaller gigs (to use with a Mackie self-powered speaker) and recording, this has allowed me to easily take the Aguilar pre without any extra hassle.

I agree with you on the shock mount issue. It would be great to have, but making the rack as light weight as possible allows one to be quite careful in its handling. I used a shockmount rack briefly and with the number of stairs often involved in load ins combined with the much larger size of the rack, it was, for me, more of a pain than it was worth.

hope this helps

9. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    cabcreaser, did you think the skb case was sturdy as far as hauling a heavy power amp around? does the rack case flex at all?

I've had little experience with racks but I've seen some cheap rack cases that just structurally don't look built for heavy equipment, more built for digital stuff without heavy tubes and transformers. the 6 space definitely seems like the way I'm thinking to go. any thoughts on which case for the 680? is one of those SKB 2 spaces good for the 680?

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You're racking a $1000 plus amp. You can find some reasonbly priced shockmounts on the 'bay and other places. I recently purchased a 4 space gator shockmount case for $125 brand new at a local store. I have a few other cases, but just never felt comfortable putting the amp in a lesser case. In regards to the 680, I would consider the rackbag as well. I needed to take my amp out and my SUV was in the shop. The only option I had was to take everything out of my 8 space shock rack and put into two separate racks. I normally use the 4 space shock rack for my DB359 but I put the 728 it that case and used a rackbag to carry everything else worked great..

11. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Very true, pickebass, some good deals can be had on a 4 space shockmount rack case, and a $1000+ amp is definitely worthy of one.

Zisbass, structurally the rotorack seems to have held up very well (I have used it for about a year and a half and have noticed no structural damage). The real question becomes which bothers you more: added weight or the need to be extremely careful and possibly place some sort of absorption pad between your cab and the rack. I chose the reduced weight, but I am the only one that handles my gear and I am extremely overcautious (even when I'm drunk).

12. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Pickebass,
    How do you like the Gator Shockmount? The prices certainly look good but I haven't been able to see one close-up. It's really hard to tell from their website what the shock absorbtion system is comprised of. Is it simply rubber bumpers or is it more substantial?

Thanks,
    Joel

13. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    Anvil can custom make you a case very similar or exactly like the one I have for my 728. It's a 5 space shockrack with 2 inches of foam. On the inside rack the sides are cut out about 3 inches tall by ten inches deep and the front has a three in gap in the foam on each side. Air comes in the front, goes through the sides and can also go out the back. It works really good for me and I have not had any problems with the amp getting hot!

14. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    I actually talked to Dave Boonshoft of Aguilar (the DB in DB 728) on the phone a few weeks ago when I was having a minor issue with what I thought was the amp. Anyways he actually told me he used to run an equipment rental house and his thoughts on racking were that the 728 cools from with the vents on the front and back and he didn't think that it made a difference ventilation wise about the sides. He also said from his experience that he thought a non shock rack was a better choice as they're alot lighter and he thought the extra weight of the shock racks wouldn't actually help if the amp was dropped (more weight, harder impact)...so anyways I'm still thinking about going non shock on the case and definitely putting the 728 alone as it's a beast as it is.

15. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I just put my Demeter into a Mesa SUS-4. I'll never put it in anything else.

16. Exactly. Your amp and tubes will both thank you.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently picked up a couple of the SUS-4 racks (thanks for the suggestion, oddio!) to use with my tube gear. I was trying to avoid them because of the bulk/weight issues, but I was occassionally experiencing some feedback issues which I think were related to vibration getting to the tubes. While I have not gigged yet with my shock racks, I am hopeful that in addition to providing better protection, they will also add some vibration isolation.

Tom.

18. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    just out of curiosity how much does a 4 space SUS-4 case weigh? and how much does it cost?

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I got one on ebay for $125, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I am not sure about the weight. The two 8 space SUS-4's I have are not too darn heavy, but they are substantial racks.

Tom.