Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

raezers edge 2 x 8

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lin fung, Jan 28, 2005.

1. lin fung

lin fung Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Many people on this forum have raved about the sound of old EA 2 x 8 cabs. These are, however, no longer on the market. Does anyone have experince with the sound and performance of either of the two 2 x 8 cabs made by Raezers Edge? I currently own a clarus and a EA cxl 110 and a full circle pickup. I play URB only. My current setup just seems to get a little too boomy and electric sounding when I bring the volume up. I really want "my bass only louder" from a portable package that won't crap out at moderate to high volume. Perhaps these 2 x 8 cabs would be even more natural. They are also 4 ohms, which lets me get more power from them.
    Any input would be appreciated.

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I don't have any experence with the cabs you mentioned, but Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com) makes a crazy good sounding 2x8.
    In fact look for a review (for what its worth) in Bass Player mag soon on their 2x8 cab.
    They have made some pretty big strides in the design of 2x8's and are working on a neo "Ultra Light" version as well. It already is light as hell and the prototype is just stupid!!
    And their 3x8.......nutty good sounding!!!!
    I have played through other 2x8 cabs besides theirs, but something about their driver and design really makes them shine.
    And they are LOUD as hell for such a small box.
    Give them a shout, Don is a super good guy and will really take time with you on what you need/want out of your cab.

3. It seems like the 2x8 Tower (vertically-aligned) is the only 2x8 cabinet from Raezer's Edge that I would trust to handle transient-induced power spikes from a bass; the 2x8 seems geared towards lower-powered amps. I wonder whether the fact that RE categorizes the 2x8 cab as a guitar cab would be a deal-breaker for use with a bass...

4. I would also be skeptical in that the response is rated at 50 Hz on the low end.

5. lin fung

Oct 9, 2002
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I've seen that this cab is only rated down to 50hz. I admittedly don't have a real clear sense of what the practical outcome of range stats is. My current cab is rated to go down to 45 Hz, yet it gets boomy at moderate volumes. I find myself rooling off a fair bit of bass as the volume comes up to keep things natural sounding. In addition, I have to cut nearly all of the mid on my clarus to keep it from getting too honky. I realize that most bass amps are scooped in the mid and mine is not (which is good), but it really sounds unnaturally honky to my ears.

Appealing features of the Raezers Edge cab are:

1. 33lbs. Where I live and commute, portability is significant.

2. 4ohms which would let me get more juice from my clarus. Most other cabinet upgrades I might make would require me to switch to a more powerful amp to really make it worth my while. The other cab that I'm presently curious about is the EA NL-210. I don't think my clarus would match with that, power-wise. That would require me to get a new amp and be GASsy.

3. Rich (the RE builder) and one of his retailers have sold that cab to URBers and have gotten good feedback about it's clarity and having good detail (hearing more string and wood than boom). Obviously more impartial feedback would be good, too.

The EA VL-208 is called the ideal URB cab by a number of people on this forum. However, I think I read that its about 70 lbs., not to mention no longer being made. That's just too heavy to be practical for me.

6. The VL-208 weighs around 45-48 lbs. Still, not exactly super-portable. The 208 also has the midrange drivers that the RE doesn't. The RE's seem to be more popular with guitarists than bassists. The LDS cabs are getting a LOT of raves on the BG side. I hear he is about to make them with the Neo drivers, so they might be pretty manageable weight-wise. It's also a custom cab, so you could pretty much have it made however you want. One of my students is about to order one, so I'll get to hear it for myself.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, Don Oats up at Low Down Sound is making some incredible cabs at very reasonable prices. I have been following his developments (and have heard a number of his cabs), and I am thinking of ordering a 3x8 (two long-throw 8" drivers and an 8" coax mid/tweet) from him sometime fairly soon.

That said, the VL-208 is just about my favorite cab, especially for doubling on electric and upright. I do prefer two or more, though, and this does get to be more rig to carry around. One option to consider is the Wizzy. I prefer it to just one VL-208, believe it or not. It is very lightweight and portable, and the sound is full and warm, yet very articulate. Not harsh at all. I would think that a Wizzy would fit what you are after better than an NL-210, but then again, I have not tried my NL-210's with upright yet.

On the Raezer's Edge front, I own a Bass 10, and I was about to sell it (since I more often find myself playing EA cabs), but then I went and played it with a Walter Woods Ultra. I must say, those two sound phenomenal together! I have not heard Rich's 2x8, but would love to someday.

Yet another option is the Accugroove Tri 208. This is no longer made, but last I knew, they still had one up at Low Down Sound. I gave it a listen some time ago, and it has a very true, very accurate tone, with amazingly deep low end response. It did not get very loud, though.

Hope this helps, Tom.

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I put my Raezer's 2x8 up for sale. It worked really well for EUB and sounded good on upright but it was a bit "boxy" sounding. The Acme B1 and EA 110 got a much cleaner, open sound so I stayed with them. They are very well built cabinets and I know some other bassists who liked the sound of it, just not for me.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That closely mirrors my experience with the Bass 10, and I did list it for sale at one point. But then I did a foolish thing, and decided to try it with my WWU... ;)

10. lin fung

Oct 9, 2002
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thanks for the useful feedback. That sounds like it's not the cabinet for me. I guess I'm waiting for a cabinet to come out that people rave sounds as good as or even better than the VL-208 (which is no longer available, anyways) for URB . The new EA NL-210 cabinet hasn't gotten too much press on this forum yet, so I suspect that it's not impressing people to any great degree. Or perhaps it's just still too new. Anyways, thanks for helping me avoid misplacing my GAS.

11. No need for a new thread...

What do you think the ne RE 1x8 would do for an upright, the portability of this cab is very, very attractive..

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

I played an EUB thru a three way cab that had an 8" as well as a smaller "mid" driver (a 4" maybe?) and a tweeter at Low Down Sound and it sounded pretty damn good.
    I think a 1x8 would work fine for non-electric upright too.

But still, the Low Down Sound neo 2x8 is stupid light ad sounds real good as well.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Can you describe the difference between the 1x8 and the 2x8 you heard?

14. kinda ot, but i really dig my baby blue II for doublebass. I have the one with a seperate amp and cab and have used the cab with a myriad of different heads and it's always performed well for me. they do seem to be available on ebay pretty regularly, with the entire system selling for about $600. the amp may be a bit underpowered for some. but if there's a pa at the gig, you don't need that much power.

it's also a great doubling rig if need be...

tony

15. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I have a Raezer'd Edge 208 Tower I've been thinking of selling. I'm happy with the VL208 and Acme B1; abaguer@msn.com

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    pardon my ignorance but will these cabs handle hi power -350-400 watts ? I am getting ready to buy a woods and some cabs .

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I haven't tried the 2x8, but my Raezer's Edge Bass 10 is literally transformed when used with the WWU. I think they are a good pair, tonally, though I urge you to use caution on the gain with the Woods.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Not to totally hijack the thread, but I keep hearing good things about the Acme B1. Any other DBer's try one?

19. Not to hijack the thread back again, but I have Raezer's Edge Bass 10, and use it with my Clarus 2. I like the clean, transparent sound of the Bass 10. I also have the EA CXL-110, which sounds as good as the Raezer's Edge, but it's a bit heavier. From other comments here, I dare not try the Bass 10 with the WW. :meh:

- Wil

20. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    B1/Clarus or Focus driven (as they come 4 or 8 ohm) is my current reference. I did a review of it a while back...Of course, I never tried a VL208, but I have tried a lot of other cabinets and combos. The B1 is clearly better with my DB's.