Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Random thing I found out.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 5, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    O.K. Strange tip.

I don't know if it is just me or not, but I bought myself a cheap drumset to dink around on and record my stuff with. Well, I don't if it was just coincidence, but my bass playing seemed to improve 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better, so maybe you want to buy yourself a cheap drumset just to see what happens.

2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I hold my mates drum kit in my garrage, but I can't play it for toffee... I might give it a go though! :)

3. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Well, here is what victor wooten himself told me (long story, but if you were at his atl concert at the variety playhouse on July 15,2005; i was that kid that got up on stage.)

He said that most good musicians could pick up any instrument and be able to make some kind of music out of it.

Give it a shot, you never know.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I totally agree. I played drums before I came to bass and I think it helped me vastly.

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    with drums everything is about timing and rhythms etc so you pick those up when playing drums then when you go back to bass you can transfer those skills learnt from drums onto bass

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I just bought a set just for that! And I have found the same thing.

:D

Joe.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I borrowed a VERY CHEAP drumset from my friend since he doesn't use it. I haven't got drastically better at the bass, but I did get 20000000000000 times better at the drums since I couldn't even keep beats before having the kit. Now I could do lots of variations on a rock beat pretty good.

8. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    YAY.

I guess this means that I am not the only one out there like that. I am normal again!

Well, maybe not. Seriously, I stare at the wall for fun, does that mean i am sick or something :( JK.

9. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've always been able to pick up an instrument and play it to some extent. With the exception of brass and wind instruments, of course (you don't want to hear the results of my excursions into trumpet and clarinet).

In addition to bass, I play drums and percussion. I would say that the drumming helps my bass playing - certainly, a few of my favorite slap riffs come from drum rhythms.

10. certainly. Drums help both in that you learn to play in an almost completely rhythmic context and you also get a feel for what the drummer is doing and you are better able to understand him/her and follow him where ever he goes.

11. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Hey, Jaco used to be a drummer...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Jaco only needed 4 tom-toms? :D

13. SteveC