Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Raven Labs PHA-1 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Carota, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Recently, the volume control on my PHA-1 does not produce any sound unless it is cranked. Would this be easy to fix myself, or should I just ship it out to Raven Labs?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    change the battery lately? If it's not that... I'd send it back out to the company... Steve is supposedly very good with customer service. ;)

3. I had the same problem recently. If your bass is passive use the top input, that helped solve my problem. I spoke to Steve and he said he can do a simple mod which will make the unit louder, or will work with a tech to help him (or her) do the mod. It involves removing a resistor. I suggest you give Steve a call. Good luck.

4. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Big Joe:

I run the PHA through the AC adapter.

Blues Basser:

I have tried both inputs (bass is active,) and still have the same result. Its not so much that the volume is quiet at other levels. There is no volume at all untill the knob is cranked, then, it kicks in.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'd send it back... :bawl:

6. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yeah, that will most likely be the solution. The PHA-1 is such a great tool. I'll miss it while it is gone. :) Thanks for your help, though.

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I hear you... I use mine constantly! :cool: :)

8. Jason, your experience is very different than mine then. There is very definitely something wrong with your unit. I still think a call to Steve would be worth while. My guess is that you will probably will end up sending the unit back, but he may have a way to have your local tech fix the problem. I wish you luck in getting it resolved quickly. I use mine all the time too.