Raven retirement

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It's been mentioned in other forums, prematurely, I might add, but Steve Rabe of Raven Labs is retiring the line, effective immediately.

He has had hassles with production since early this year, and recently said he'd had some part acquisition problems. I am guessing that was the last straw. He wrote me "I'm actually going to concentrate on some designs I have wanted to do. For various reasons, and the fact the timing is good, I decided to end production after the few backorders are filled. I will still be around for repairs, etc."

Anybody who has met or spoken with Steve knows what a great guy he is, and if you've had experience with anything Raven Labs, you'll likely agree that he designed and built great stuff.

Just a note, if you've been hankering for a Raven Labs fix, better satisfy it or be prepared to search for used stuff. I'm sorry to see it go, but wish Steve the best... it will be interesting to see what happens next.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That is indeed sad news. Their stuff is first-rate.
  3. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    That's a drag. I guess I should stock up on a couple of extra power supplies for my R.L. gear. I am glad I got my USIP when I did.
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For the bassists looking for a ravenlabs blender,
    this might be a good time to look at the D-Tar.
    As was previously mentioned, it seems to be of
    very high quality, and very similar to the ravenlabs
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Wow, glad I grabbed a PMB earlier this year. I appreciate that little red box on every single gig.
  6. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I have a pmb I and I think it's a great piece of gear--I'd always sort of had my eye on a USIP. Sorry to hear Rabe is retiring
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you think this is bad, just wait until Walter Woods closes down his shop!!!
  8. I love my Raven boxes, and use them in lots of wierd ways. Apart from gigging, I keep one next to my easy chair at home, wired into my stereo so I can plug in a CD or MD walkman for convenient bass practice. For a couple of years my master blender and two mics and a tiny Stewart World 200 power brick and a Flight 10" cab constituted my "loaner" PA which served most of the Community Association and Political meetings around Maui.

It's sad if no one takes over their manufacture, though I know Steve a bit and he's too brilliant to feel satisfied manufacturing widgets and searching for parts suppliers.

I can't wait to see his next designs. I bet they will be even cooler than the Raven or SWR stuff.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I certainly do wish Steve the best. My MDB-1 is an incredibly useful device, and I agree with all of the comments regarding the outstanding quality of the Raven Labs gear.
  10. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I already had one USIP and when I heard the news I called Steve and bought the last USIP he had for a backup. He was cool enough to send me some extra power supplies. Great guy!