1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RB-style bass, Rocktile Pro RB 400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nohrellas, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    I found these interesting RB-style basses, it seems that some companies are selling them as DIY kit guitars, but you can also get them from Amazon and from a German shop fully assembled.

71ynWmjmZYL._SL1500_.jpg

The body looks almost like an exact copy, but it's a 34'' scale length with a musicman-style bridge and a JB pickup and pickupcover (lol). The neck pickup is a mini humbucker and they changed the headstock. The neck is set-in instead of going all the way through, there is no stereo output or any fancy stuff, just a 3-way switch and 2 volume and 2 tone controls.

I'm considering getting one since I'll never get a real Ric anyway and because it should be an interesting project bass. I like the aesthetic and it should yield some interesting sounds with a neck pickup in that position.

I fully expect it to need a lot of attention, including a fretjob and a new nut, but this seems to be the only alternative in that pricerange that I don't need to import from China myself (and that is not claiming to be an actual RB).

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. @Nohrellas

For more info you could post in the TB Rickenfaker thread or there's a Rickenfaker page on FB.
    The folks on FB are kinda militant and I fear the Rocktile won't be "fake" enough for them :D

3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    It is just an assembled version of Pit Bull Guitars' RCA-4 kit. Such a weird mismatch of hardware. If it wasn't Rickenbacker shaped then probably nobody would be discussing it.

The Rickenfakers FB page is getting more militant, ironically enough, but it is worth recognising that '70s Japanese Rickenfakers are far higher quality instruments than modern Chinese bootleg Rickenbackers or these 'Rocktile' basses.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  4. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    Ah, thanks I'll check it out. I know that there are far better RB-style copys out there but they are rare and even if they come up used somewhere they usually sell within a day or two and they cost quite a lot more than this Rocktile bass. I also don't really care about the weird mismatched hardware, I don't want to fool people into believing it is a real RB or that it looks exactly like one from afar, I just want a bass with that kind of aesthetic, and this Rocktile bass seems to be the cheapest and easiest way (not having to import them from China myself) that I can find.

5. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    Oh, very interesting! Thanks for the tip, I might need to reconsider this.

6. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    While you've mentioned the Czech Republic, let's remember Jolana D-Bass, made in Czechoslovakia in early 80's.
    upload_2020-10-5_17-7-19.png
    Sorry for the necroposting.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Hard to say 'copy' when apperantly the manufacturer has never seen a Rickenbacker.

Tony In Philly and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If it’s actually an assembled Pitbull bass, I’d avoid it. Looks like set neck in the photo, which is the weak point on these clones. They rely on a neck tenon into the body for strength, and then hog away half the tenon for the neck pup route. Meh. The Harley Benton clone looks like a better bass all around, with just enough difference to prevent counterfeit status. There just isn’t any substitute for a real Ric, although the “lawsuit” Japanese clones like the Fernandes, Univox or Ibanez were the best of the lot. As to the ban on “praising” counterfeits, it only seems to apply to Ric fakers, other obviously copied bass designs and IP are ignored on TB. If the moderators applied that standard more evenly, they’d be stomping on threads all day long. Ric blatantly ripped off the Tubeampology Treble Bezel, as Clear a case of IP theft as I can think of, yet it’s apparently ok to “praise” how the Ric counterfeit Treble Bezel looks on the Ric threads. Strange. No "praise" on this video. He just plays it. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  9. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    It does a pretty credible job of sounding like a Rickenbacker too.

gg69, Eli_Kyiv and Gilmourisgod like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021