1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RBI, wireless and tuner in rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    So I pretty much run ampless. I run sound for my band and I send myself a custom monitor mix that works for me. I usually use a BP355, or BDDI with my wireless. Recently, alot of space had opened up on our FOH rack box. I have the space for a R I, my rack tuner and rack wireless. I'm thinking about putting those items in the box. Then basically all I would bring to gigs is my bass.
    This sounds too easy...thoughts, comments would appreciated. Thanks.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Umm...will your tuner be very useful if you move it to FOH? And what is an R I?

Edit: Since you run sound, is your FOH on stage? Not really FOH, I guess.

3. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    When I'm in a venue with good monitoring and FOH, I run with an RPM, tuner, and wireless, nothing else. I like it well enough to get through a gig if lugging the amp and cab is a consideration (like playing a week downtown with a fast or non-existent loading zone). I always prefer the amp too, but this setup can be quite satisfactory.

4. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I run FOH from the stage. Sorry for the typo I meant RBI. The mixer rack is always less than 5 feet from me. I go out to the crowd several times a night to check levels.

5. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    A little on the snarky side aren't we. I think several working bands on TB run sound from stage. In all the shows we played have yet to get a complaint on sound

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The minute you put those things in the rack, you'll find a reason to want to take your bass setup somewhere without the PA.

Not a problem but I recommend having a quick charging Mikita handy.

7. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Yeah I thought about too. Good thing u have a Genz shuttle and can for rehearsal :)

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Sorry. Not the way I meant it. Some guys play and run sound from stage. Some guys run sound out front even though they play. I was a little slow and didn't realize you were the former, not the latter. I'm sure you sound great, and hats off to you. Running sound can be quite a distraction.

9. ajcxnejx

ajcxnejx

Mar 12, 2013
    I go out to the crowd several times a night to check levels.[​IMG]

10. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Well, I did it. Placed my wireless, tuner in the FOH rack box. Instead of spending the money on a RBI, I took my BDDI and a little velcro and struck it on the EQ in the rack box.

Why I didn't do this years earlier? Phhht, i wish I knew. Got my sound, without hauling extra stuff and setting it up at each gig.

Guess Im getting older and lazier!

11. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Laziness has inspired innovation since the dawn of time. I'm a big fan.

12. I use the xlr on the RBI to FOH

I have a swr 750x i use just as a power amp and a ampeg 410 HE which is basically my "monitoring rig".

Couple other gizmos of course. Line 6 wireless, pod hd in the effects loop just for effects(doubles as a headphone amp for all night practicing) bbe sonic stomp infront of the sans amp for a little EQing. But I could get by with my conklin and the RBI if I could hear myself decently